Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ohio and am looking for a breeder in the midwest that breeds Bernese Mountain Dog Mixes. I am interested in finding Bernese-Austrailian shepherd mixes specifically, but am open to other mixes as well. If anyone has some insight as to where to look, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been having trouble finding places that do mixes.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
I live in Ohio and am looking for a breeder in the midwest that breeds Bernese Mountain Dog Mixes. I am interested in finding Bernese-Austrailian shepherd mixes specifically, but am open to other mixes as well. If anyone has some insight as to where to look, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been having trouble finding places that do mixes.
Thanks!

I am not surprised you are having trouble finding that mix. A dog that is more a livestock guard dog and carting dog is an odd mix with a herding dog. But mainly, Bernese have a TON of health problems and getting a dog from anyone but a breeder with extensive testing and history of the lines is just asking for heartbreak IMO. Since the vast majority of breeders who do such extensive planning, testing and tracking are not going to sell their dogs to someone planning to breed a mix (a mix in general but particularly a mix without a very specific purpose and intent), what you are likely to find are breeders who aren't testing and aren't doing the genetic research.

Maybe, describe the traits that you are looking for in a dog and someone can better suggest either a purebred breed that would fit your desires or give you an idea of how to assess a young adult or adult rescue for temperament traits that would suit you.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You're probably not going to find a reputable breeder who breeds that type of mix....or any mixes, really. I mean, there are a few, but they typically have a purpose, like a working dog or a hunting dog. The rest will be "designer" dogs that often don't health test or take much consideration of temperament.

Like Shell said, why don't you describe what you're looking for in a dog and we can help you?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think even from a good breeder there is risk of heartbreak to be honest...
BMDs are that sort of breed where there is a strong risk.
There is no health test for cancer unfortunately, which is a huge issue too.

Though I imagine if it were possible to get a wellbred mix just as well bred as a purebred with the same extensive health testing and knowledge of lines as a purebred there could be some potential benefits to issues like cancer, but I really have yet to see such a breeder of BMD mixes anywhere...

However, they are more of an alert dog, companion, carting, and even a tiny bit of herding, rather than a Livestock Guardian breed, from what I can gather.
They are quite different to LGDs.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
yes they are not a livestock guardian breed. (general farm, companion, i know them for carting) Don't feel anyone intentionally mixing the breeds would be a good breeder. Don't think BMD benefits anything being mixed with a herder.. nor does the herder breed..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts