Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tell my dog:
"Look...I see a Squirrel" She looks up at all the trees.
or
"Look...I see a Doggie" She looks all around ground level.

So she knows squirrels are usually in the trees and Doggies are never in the trees.
and she knows what "Look or I See" means.

However,
When I say "Look I see a Doggie " and I Point my Finger in a direction for her to look...
She doesnt understand to look in the direction Im pointing .

How do I get her to look in the direction Im pointing?

(Ancient proverb..."When the wise man points at the moon, the fool looks at the finger" )

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda looks where we are pointing, but that is likely because she LOVES playing with the laser, so if she sees the laser pointing in a particular direction she knows the dot is over there.....she seems to have figured out finger pointing from that. Not really taught, she just figured it out
Not sure about how exactly to teach it though. You could try pointing and click/treating whenever she looks in the direction of the point....

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca is not perfect at it but does seem to know to look in the direction i indicate. I think she learned it as a byproduct of "find it." I taught her that by starting with an object right in front of her, pointing to it and saying the cue. She waw rewarded when she gave me the object. I gradually moved the object farther away, still pointing to it until i progressed to hiding it and expecting her to find it on her own. The pointing stuck, though, so when i point now she usually knows what to do.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
websearch: "directed jumping mark", there's a ton of info out there.

Some search results may be more geared towards the entire excercise, if so just pick out the parts that describe how to teach the "mark" portion.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My dogs have all learned what pointing means without me actually setting out to teach them. Have you ever dropped a piece of kibble or a treat on the floor and the dog didn't see it right away? I just walk right up to the treat and point my finger about an inch or two away from it. The dog runs and finds it. A few times of that and your dog will learn to look wherever you point. I never took it any further to try to teach them to run to a point when there wasn't anything there to interest them, but they all learned to look in the direction I pointed.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i point at an object thats directly in front of me (like they do in the video below). My dog gets the message every time.
100% sucess.
but,
When I point at something off in the distance and say "Look" ..
She looks at my hand and all around ..but not where Im pointing.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. Start out with a full arm, dramatic point to something close by, desirable, and on the ground.
2. Change locations.
3. When you and the dog start to "get it," reduce the size of the signal.
4. My dog didn't really 'get it' until after he was 3 yo. He isn't 100% reliable, but he also understands a pointed finger as well as a head nod and a glance, in some situations.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
1. Start out with a full arm, dramatic point to something close by, desirable, and on the ground.
2. Change locations.
3. When you and the dog start to "get it," reduce the size of the signal.
4. My dog didn't really 'get it' until after he was 3 yo. He isn't 100% reliable, but he also understands a pointed finger as well as a head nod and a glance, in some situations.
This ^ ... ^ ... ^ and I did it all in a round-a-bout way ......

I also made a point of naming objects. Leeo knew Santa claus ( candy dish ) crumbs ( floor ) water ( dishes ) eat ( food dish or table or stove ) tv, washer, bar bell, rope, ... the list goes on ... all done with an exaggerated pointed arm and finger and a physical "Touch" of each item. I did "GO look" for windows ...that kicked in high drive! Lol! :) It all worked so that if I said " Look" or pointed ... they knew they needed to go check it out. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts