Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Molly was 12. Not bad for a boxer.

Otherwise all my other dogs are still alive haha. I won't count Happy in this since she was a senior when I got her anyway, and no clue how old she actually was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My oldest is still alive. She's a 15 year old 60 pound husky mix who is a little bit deaf, a little bit irritable, a little bit shaky on her back legs but is still in remarkably good health. She's only ever had one actual illness and that was about 8 months ago when she experienced idiopathic vestibular disorder. I had another dog, a large 120 pound shepherd/chow mix who lived to 14.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very interesting thread!

My parents' toy poodle, Sugar, is turning 15 this month. She's going blind and deaf, but seems in good health. Last time she was at the vet, they were amazed at her good health.

My childhood dog, Baby-Dog, a rottweiler/corgi mix, lived for quite a while. Her exact age was lost to the years as my dad called her 13 for several years before her death. My guess is she was between 11 and 15 years when she died. I don't trust my dad's memory enough to say for sure that she even made it to 13. XD All I know is my dad had her before 1990 (when he married my mom) and she died in 2000. Hit by a car when family was dog-sitting while we moved to a new house. She was a good dog. Tolerated my childish antics when I was young. I probably deserved to get bit more than once, but she never did.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I have a 16 year old here now... Good shape... I think her mind might be going though.
Worries me....

Frankly it is easier for me at this point to remember the ones that died young...
Bronson -Rottweiler - 4 Years
Dottie - Catahoula -6 years
Bandit -ACD -7 years
Buc -Labrador 9 years
Skinny Minnie - Catahoula - 5 years - She was killed by a hog on a bad day that should have never happened... I am still haunted by that day...

I have strong opinions of why the other four went early.. But that is not what this thread is about...

Of the other 35 or so (I am not counting and I have gotten to the point I forget a dog or two) none has passed sooner than 12 years of age...

The Oldest was Catcher My first Catahoula 17 and weeks from his 18th birthday.
Catcher was still hunting at 14 and still working some stock at 16.
Doc (a Catcher son) 15. Doc never retired from hunting but never really retired from working stock.
Runt APBT started sleeping with me when I was 4 years old. 15.
Tank APBT 15 - Tank was still catching hogs at 13 and caught a couple at 14. I retired him... Seems like once he stopped. He went downhill fast...
Red - Redbone Coonhound- 15 I know the name was not that original... He was out of a dog that had a legendary nose locally. That dogs name was Red... When I got him, I started calling him little red until I thought of a name.. It just stuck... When he grew up I dropped the little. But when he was mentioned among other local hunters, I always referred to him as little red... In respect for his father... Red was my strike dog on both hogs and deer for many years. I never hunted with his father, but my Red had the best nose and was the most gifted hound I have ever hunted with.... He started as a pack hound but became my strike dog before 2 years of age (strike dog is the dog that finds the hot scent before you turn the pack out... Largely the leader of the pack.. Hard to explain, but not only you have to trust your strike dog, but your other dogs have to as well). He was my strike dog until he was 13. And he was slowing down... Tiring out... He got so tired he stopped and laid down several times... I was lucky to find him once... So I retired him and Tango (a grandson of my Red) became my strike dog... Red like Tank, went downhill quickly when he stopped hunting.

Terry Redbone/Bluetick cross - 15.... He was another very versatile dog... Great on deer... He could run.... If he got on a good buck, you better try to get a hunter in front of him... IF not he would run that deer into the next county.... I lost a lot of sleep looking for that dog. All the other dogs would get tired and come back... I spent all night looking for Terry more than once... Terry was also tough enough to hunt hogs... I preferred the grit and toughness of cur breeds for hogs.. Because hogs do not run far... They turn and fight... It takes some grit and brains to keep them bayed up until the catch dog and hunters get there without getting torn up. Terry had it.
When he was about 9 years old, I lost him deer hunting for about 4 days... He did not come back and I could not find him Saturday night and all day Sunday.... I went to town and called into work on Monday... Looked all day and most of the night. Drove into work Tuesday morning. Worked, drove back to the woods... Looked most of the night... Went back to work Wednesday... Got a friend to drive my truck back to the woods while I slept on the way... Found him curled on a jacket I left at a crossroads... Hungry, tired and hurt... His right front leg was broken and twisted around. Something had bitten him in the lower leg, His paw was facing up... Taped him up, fed him and headed home. Had him at my vet Thursday morning. The leg had already started to knit... Doc gave me three viable choices... Leave the leg and let it heal as is.... Take the leg or put him down. Doc said if it was his dog, he thought the least invasive thing was to see if it would heal as is... It would never be use to him but it was not as invasive as taking the leg... So I chose that.... We all guessed it was a gator that grabbed him and the leg snapped in the struggle to get away... His leg healed paw up.. Never bothered him... I kind of considered his hunting days behind him... But next fall he went nuts when I was loading dogs to go... I looked at him... Thinking this is a bad idea...And loaded him up.... Running on three legs slowed him down... Now he was my second fasted dog rather than my fastest dog.. I eventually let him try hogs again. He dodged and weaved from hogs just fine... I retired him about 13 as I tended to do... Went downhill... At 13 you could not tell the difference between him and a 5-6 year old dog... He barely made it to 15. The dog aged ten years in two years... Turned grey, teeth started falling out... Went from a sleek dog that could run miles to a feeble dog that could not run across the yard.

A couple of notable 14 year olds.
Buck - Redbone/bluetick cross (Terry's littermate) Great Solid dog.. Not a leader... Great deer dog. Could hunt hogs but I had better hog dogs. He started limping after hunting hard Close to 13... Doc checked him out.. Had arthritis in the back legs.. An Aspirin a few days and he would be good to go... I did not think it was fair to him to keep running him hard... So I retired him... Like the others he aged YEARS in a short time and became a feeble old dog...

Laddie - Rough Collie... I got Laddie for Christmas when I was 7 years old... I had to put him to sleep on the morning of my 21st birthday... Laddie was my best good bud and sidekick for my childhood and as I became a man... It was a bad day... He was getting old and feeble.. Had some sort of stroke or something.. He was not completely conscious and his back legs did not work...

The rest.... 12-14 years old.... Dogs that worked hard, hunted hard..

And I have to say something about retiring old working dogs.. Be hunting dogs, herding dogs, etc... I have had far more dogs that had a working role rather than my pets... There are different schools of thoughts... I hunted with people that never stopped hunting their old dogs.... The end usually comes in dramatic and at times traumatic fashion... And sometimes you just don't know.. Dog simply stops... Sometimes you find them.. Sometimes you don't... Others like me (what my family did) retired their old dogs... We owed them for the years of work they gave us.... They deserved to take it easy, special meals, cushy beds, etc... But from what I have seen the older I get, the more I question the way I did things... I still see the look on the faces of old dogs while I was loading up the other dogs to hunt.... Their age and bodies might have been telling me no... But their minds were telling them yes... They were ready to go..... So what is the best thing to do with a HIGH drive dog that has done what it loves to do and WANTS to do for its entire life?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My experience is only with mini schnauzers. Both males passed away around 11 years old. One female was maybe 13 and the other was 15 (almost 16 I think). The males were pretty sudden (one extremely sudden). One female was pretty healthy up until she had some heart issues. The oldest one had quite a decline for the last few years (dementia, peeing in the house all the time, etc).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Our last Mini Schnauzer female that we had lived to 16 years old in a household that did ZERO vetting on her at all.
(not bragging about my parent's lack of vetting, just saying she probably could have went longer had her issues been treated)
Right now we have a Chocolate lab on her final legs at 13. Also only been vetted once just in the last year.

My parents have pretty great luck with healthy dogs.
CATS however, they haven't had one above 6. (Farm/Indoor)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wow, great to hear so many dogs live long lives! My current dogs are only 3 and 1 so I hope to have many years with them yet.

When I was a teenager my family got a Chocolate Lab. She lived for 13 years and then had to be euthanized.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stoney our male Rottweiler, lived to be about 13 then his health declined rapidly and he was in so much pain from bad hips we put him to sleep (I still miss that dog, He was a rescue), Samantha our female rottweiler lived to be about 12 when she passed on. Zeus my current boy (also a Rottweiler) is 11 months so i still have a few years with him left. Good thing cause me and him are best buds!

·
Registered
764 Posts
All of my pets as an adult are still alive, though my crew is certainly getting old. Noah is somewhere around 14 or 15, Heather is 11 or 12, Sasha will be 10 next month, and Moe is 9.

My childhood dogs all lived to ripe old ages. Sugar, a poodle/yorkie mix, lived to be 16 (almost 17), Bogart, a hound/cocker spaniel mix lived to be 15, and Boo, a peke/poodle mix lived to be 16.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Susie is my oldest as she was eleven years old last July but considering she is half Bernese, she is doing pretty good. A little stiff but still bounces around but spends most of the time sleeping. Her hearing and eyesight still seem to be alright and she will still lie outside in the rain and snow unless I call her inside even though she has a doghouse to go into. My oldest little dog is just 11 next March and the others are younger.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Flash (border collie mix) died at 10yo from heartworms before ivermectin. Rusty (Lab/Golden/Irish Setter mix) died at 14yo. Ty (GSD/Dobie) died at 17yo - I've been told that Dobies have a long average life span.

Shep (Lab/GSD) is currently 15yo.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I got my first dog, a wire haired fox terrier, when I was 10. She died when she was 19 years old. Never fat, had epilepsy most of her life, spayed, ate Gaines Burgers and people food, was byb (newspaper ad). At the end of her life, she had arthritis and was deaf and partially blind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know two dogs that lived to be 17. My nana and papa owned a black and white English springer spaniel named Chelsea she lived from February 25,1985 to 2002 and my uncle Gordie and aunt sherry owned a Pomeranian named Gizmo that lived from 1994 to November 11, 2011. I have pictures of both of them.
Gizmo (1994-2011) he was aunt sherry‘s baby.
Chelsea (February 25,1985 - 2002) This is one of my nana and papa‘s first dogs when they lived together. Their first dog they had together was a beagle named Brandy which I recently got pictures from my aunt Amy of brandy. Brandy lived from 1970-1980.Brandy was a bandit.
Brandy (1970-1980) Brandy is a Beagle that lived to be 10 years old. She was a bandit and she stole cookies and pizza.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.