Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.

I guess thinking about it almost all our dogs passed away at 12 years old. Trey (sheltie) was the longest lived and he made it a couple weeks after his 13th birthday. He had pretty good health till his last 6 months but lost a lot of weight and had Cushings.

It has dawned on me recently that Summer will be 12 soon. She is still (knock on wood) in perfect health except for a mild seizure every now and then.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Duke is my first dog, and I'm counting on him living forever haha

But, my mom's dog, who I grew up with, is still going strong at 12 years old. He's a little grumpier than he used to be but has never had a single health problem his entire life *knocks on wood*. Our first dog growing up was a Newfie puppy from a horrible back yard breeder (didn't know any better at the time) who had to be put down before she even made it to a year old (she suffered from just about every health problem under the sun).

The oldest dog I know is my cousin's dog. He's currently 14, and I wouldn't be surprised if he lived at least 2 more years. Besides a couple benign cysts and getting a little creaky, he acts like he's half his age (he still gets the zoomies at least a couple times a week haha).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy lived to just a couple days after her 16th gotcha day and I got her at about 11 months old but I say she lived to 17 years anyway. She was in pretty good shape until 13.5 years old, declined slowly due to kidney disease and DM and last couple months were a rapid decline.
Max only made it to 13 years 2 months after his gotcha day and he was supposed to be 8-12 months old so 14 years old. He was in good shape until 13.3 years or so but declined at a definite and undeniable rate after that.

Both dogs were walking +3 miles, barking, playing, zooming old dog zoomies [which are just as precious as puppy zooms]. wagging tails until the declines started. When Max stopped wagging his tail in greeting I knew he wasn't going to be with us much longer. When Sassy didn't want to go for a walk I knew the end was near. She had been happy to get her collar and leash on and go a few hundred feet but the last week, nope.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When my aunt passed, I brought her little Terrier mix home as nobody would take her. I had akways promised my aunt I woukd care for her lets should anything happen to her. I brought the dog home and she lived to just over 16. I had her longer then my aunt! ��

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Both of my childhood dogs are still alive.

Charity - Beagle/Spaniel - Lives with my grandfather, turned 14 in July. Only issue she has is she's fat lol.

Kassie -Pitbull/Rottie/Aussie - Lives with a family friend after I went to college and my parents split so no one to keep her, turned 15 in January. She took a seizure and had some allergy problems last year, but other than she is perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Honey GSD passed her 16th Birthday strong active and happy. An aggressive tumor developed and grew so fast in size in a week I made the decision to let her go because even removing the Tumor she would still would have to deal with having episodes with her ears. That will forever break my heart as she pranced outside thinking we were going on a walk and I had brought her out on the deck to give her the first shot for heavy sedation to wait for the vet to arrive at the house after she was deep under to give her the final shot to let her go...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That is gone now? Ladybug she died a month after her 15th birthday(well gotcha day) I only had her for 3 years though. Next would be Shadow who passed at 14, then Misty who was 3 months shy of 11, and Baby passed not even a month after her 8th birthday.

Happy is currently 15 and in great shape. My moms dog Perky is 15/16 years old and doing ok, she is full of giant tumours but does pretty well. Ripley is 13 and in great shape, Rusty is 12 and still insane lol

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My mini poodle growing up, Lightning, was nearly 19 when we had to put him to sleep. He was such a good dog. Though, I tested his patience quite a lot as a kid and received plenty of bites in return... Heh. They were really well inhibited bites, and I completely deserved it. But he got my mom through her divorce (we actually bought him as a puppy only a few months before my mom left my father, and when my mom was trying to explain to me that we were leaving, the only thing I asked was "but... are we taking the dog?"). He was there when I went off to college AND graduate school... By the end he was almost totally blind and deaf, but he was still the sweetest old man with my mom.

I miss that pup.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sui lived until he was almost 17, just passed away in his sleep

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Willow made it about a month past her 13th birthday. Which was sort of a miracle because that dog was a genetic train wreck. Penny will be 13 in January, Moose will be 13 in July, Toby is somewhere around that age (exact age unknown but he was full-grown when I got him in 2004). Penny seems pretty peppy but I'm not sure Moose will make it to his birthday :/.

My mom's neighbor had a Lab the same age as Willow, but she lived 3 years longer. She had a full hip replacement at age 10 though.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My childhood dog is still alive, Koby's a toy poodle x cocker mix. He just celebrated his 13th birthday last week, and considering he's had issues with his heart and trachea for the past 4 years he's doing great! We're all constantly surprised at how he cheerfully perserveres year by year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My husky had just turned 14 when she passed. She was about to die when we got her as a puppy due to infections so it was amazing she even made it to 1.
Next was American bulldog that was 12 and a border collie mix that was at least 12 but probably closer to 14-15.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My first dog, Pepper the Dalmatian lived to be 14. My oldest weim will be 14 in December.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My childhood dogs were all pretty long lived. My dad found our first dog a purebred Mini Schnauzer IN a dumpster (yes IN it) and was estimated to be two. He loved 14 years with us so we were assuming 16 when he had to be put down due to cancer. My next dog was a Welsh Terrier who lived until 14. He has a few slipped discs and was in a lot of pain and not a surgery candidate. The next Schnauzer lived until 15, and they now have a 11 year now who is in great shape.

Daisy and Darla are both 9 now and I am hoping to have a LOT longer with them both. Darla has a ton of health issues though, most concerning is her collapsing trachea which we may have to repair surgically at some point if it gets any worse :( Daisy has a LOT of greying, but knock on wood is in perfect health. I would give anything to make her live forever.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My current old guy is the oldest dog I've had... he's 15 right now and will be 16 on January 1st. The past couple of years have marked a real change in him. So sad when your guy gets old.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Gobie the minpin made it to 14 years, 3 months. Lexi the bichon was 13 years, 3 months. Both put down because of heart failure.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Scrappy was believed to be 17. She was a stray JRT and we estimated her age at 1 when I adopted her. She went for our evening walk and she was all running and playing with the other dogs. The next morning she could not even get up. She was straining for every breath. The bigger dogs tend to get to 12 to 14 when they develop problems. Most of the family dogs lived past 15. The last family dog made it to 17 or 18 years of age. My grandmother had a Chihuahua who lived to be 20.5 years old.

It is so hard because you think that is a long time but it never is. The older I get the harder it is to say good bye to my furry friends.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Katie, a sheltie, lived to be 14 but we didn't adopt her til she was 11'
I haven't had luck in the old age department. If Boone lives til next July, at 10.5yrs old, he'll be the longest lived dog that we had from a puppy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The oldest dog I've ever owned was my childhood dog. Nala was a small mix from a pet store in the mall that my mom fell in love with a first sight. She was 12 years old when we had to put her down do to lymphoma.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.