Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I get mailman have probably been bit/attacked by dogs before but when you tell them your dog is friendly and they STILL try to pepper spyray them I draw the line!! I am at my grandparents right now and this just happened. I had Bentley on the leash and I was getting the mail(the mail man just left). My grandparents dog bolted out between my legs(door takes forever to close). She of course barked a little. She went the end of the side walk and stopped but still barking. I called her and she did not come. So I go and get her(hurridly). He frikin pulls out the pepper spray( he turned around walked towards her and try to spray her, and I told him she was friendly and to put it away). At the time I grabbed her and he still had it pointed at her. I told him if he sprayed her I swear he would not like me! Then Bentley went to go say hi(on leash) and I stopped him. Then the guy points it at him!!!! At that time my grandpa(who has breathing troubles) got out there and took both dogs back inside. Thats when I completley lost it on the mailman.

I get Roxy should not have ran at him but she stopped when she got to the sidewalk and why he turned around I have no flipping idea!!! Then when he pointed it at Bentley is the time my vein popped out of my head and I lost it! I get I will probably be "put down" on here because of how I handled the situation and how I was when Roxy ran out the door. Then when he pulled it on Bentley??? What the heck was the reason for that!? The usual mail-lady they have will give a dog a treat and her and Roxy get along just fine!! I hope they never have this one again.

P.S. the neighbor saw this and she came over after her left. He done the same thing to her dog(I guess they have had him before0. The mailman was putting mail in there box as she was getting back from walking the dog. As she walked passed(dog on leash) he pulled the pepper spray out and said not to let the dog near him. Um..okay the dog was on leash in a perfect heal and no signs of aggression!?? her dog was a 16 year old lab,btw, SOOO threatning I guess. I can kind of get the pulling it on Roxy, the turning around I do not and pulling it on Bentley and the nieghbors dog??? i do NOT get that!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Some people are afraid of dogs. Mailmen and delivery men deal with lots of dogs, and are bitten quite often. Also, most friendly dogs even.like to bark or chase delivery people. It's self rewarding, the guy comes up, dog barks, person leaves. Be glad it wasn't anything worse than pepper spray. The meter reader here poisoned over 60 dogs a few years back.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get some people are afraid of dogs but how I see it if you are afraid of dogs dont be a mail person. If you want to be a mail person get one in a post office where you DONT have to worry about dogs!

Thought I would add-I am taking Roxy in a week for training. Then I am having my grandparents come 3 days of the week to train her. The first thing I am working on is the door bolting.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Did he overreact? Yeah. I can't blame him, though. As Juliemule pointed out, as a mailman, he probably interacts with a lot of dogs; and I imagine not all of them are pleasant. Even friendly dogs can cause a lot of damage if they jump or nip in play. Pepper spray, as far as I know, wouldn't cause any permanent damage to the dog. My dad has had some nasty run-ins with dogs both while jogging and when he was a paper boy, way back in the day. The mailman is just protecting himself (and really, the homeowner).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm a mailman :p (kind of. I'm a clerk but it's a small office so sometimes I carry the city routes). Anyway, yeah, some of them are scared of dogs. One of the guys I work with is like that. I think he overdoes it but he has been bitten a lot (including twice by dogs on leash whose owners let them get too close!). I got bitten once but I don't care. I did pull my pepper spray on a dog once. . .I even sprayed it, but I have terrible aim. The dog went away though, I guess it was the smell? Or the mist in the air? Delivery people have a right not to be accosted by dogs, whether we think they're overdoing it or not.

It could be worse. . .one of the other carriers (retired now) comes from a long line of mailmen. His dad was a carrier in the '50s. He carried a handgun, and any time a dog went for him, blam! No more dog. And he hated dogs so he probably shot plenty of friendly ones, too. At least pepper spray doesn't kill them. I'm surprised that was allowed but I guess rules were lax in the '50s.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well honestly "he's friendly" and "he doesn't bite" are the famousest of famous last words for anyone who encounters a lot of dogs professionally. My guess is he got bitten one too many times by "friendly" dogs who "don't bite" to be willing to trust anyone at their word anymore

·
Registered
596 Posts
The people that bring are boxes that can't fit in mail box, are terrified of are dogs. When somebody in the yard, knocks on the door, Lady barks and growls, So I understand why they scared, We give her the Q that "it's okay" and she stops. One mail lady is so scared of are baby chi puppy buddy, she stands on OTHER side of the road, and we have to go to her to get are package over there, but I don't blame her, I have no idea how many times shes been bit, why she is scared, ect.

~Erica~

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Mailcarries are probably the most common victims of dog bites. Honestly, he can't really be blamed for being afraid, even if a dog is on a leash. sure, you can say they're friendly, but in the end, they are strange dogs and he's going to be on his guard.

On a somewhat related note, our mailcarrier drives a vehicle -not an official post vehicle- and just pushes the mail into the boxes without actually leaving the car. We have one who will swerve to try and hit dogs if they are in their yard or on the edge of the street. Someone confronted her about it and she outright bragged about how she planned to eliminate any dog she could. We still have this woman. This is a Zues situation waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I understand the fear delivery people have of dogs. When Buster came home the first "stranger" I intentionally introduced him to was our mail carrier. Knowing Bus was going to grow up into a big boy I was just hoping to not have a dog that went ballistic every day when the mail was delivered and not have the mail carrier concerned for his safety. It worked....sort of. Lets just say we're now working on toning down greetings. Im pretty sure the lady driving by super slow yesterday was expecting to see the mailman get mauled instead she saw a very happy greeting between 2 friends.

Buster sees the postal truck and he's instantly on his toes, staring. Mail carrier exits, Buster sits. Mail carrier crosses the street, Buster lays down. Mail carrier stops to deliver to the neighbors house, Buster starts vibrating. Mail carrier crosses the alley saying "hey Buster!", Buster bounces over to greet, be loved on and sniff his shoes (Bus loves to sniff shoes).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well honestly "he's friendly" and "he doesn't bite" are the famousest of famous last words for anyone who encounters a lot of dogs professionally. My guess is he got bitten one too many times by "friendly" dogs who "don't bite" to be willing to trust anyone at their word anymore
I have a 3 inch scar on my elbow from a dog who was friendly and didn't bite. Imagine my surprise when one minute I was just standing there and the next I had a 40lb dog hanging from my elbow.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had some time to calm down and I don't blame him for pointing it at Roxie. She can be intimidating(pit bull/bulldog mix). But I am still very angry that he pointed it at Bentley. No reason to.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, aiming it isn't the same as spraying it. Maybe he's had dogs pull the leash out of their owners' hands to get to him and he wanted to be ready in case that happened.

So far today (I'm on the route, on break right now) I've had 3 loose dogs charge up to me barking. We're all friends and I know they're just saying hi, but if someone was afraid of dogs I can totally see why they would freak out about that.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know he didn't spray it but if I wasn't there to get her I think he would have. If you would have sprayed it at Roxie it probably would have helped with the bolting training. BUT if he would have sprayed it at bentley(who by the way, tail was wagging and head down) I would have had major problems with him. Bentley has trust issues as it is and if he was to spray Bentley I think it would have made him HA.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Bentley has trust issues as it is and if he was to spray Bentley I think it would have made him HA.
I'm sorry, but I'm kind of on his side here. I know it's upsetting for you, but it's not HIS fault that Bentley has trust issues, he doesn't KNOW Bentley has trust issues, and the guy probably gets rushed by dogs all day long whose owners dismiss it as "he's friendly." It is NOT a joke that people get bitten all the time by dogs who are "friendly and don't bite". The guy is just trying to do his job, for crying out loud.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes mail carriers encounter lots of barking and dogs that appear threatening. You were worried about the dog being pepper sprayed, the mail carrier was worried about being bitten. Emotions were flying high. Worried about my own dog being pepper sprayed I purposely introduced her to our mail carrier and gave him treats to give to her. I try to be outside when the mail comes so he can continue the "mail carrier=treats" thing we've got going.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Our mail is delivered at the road, but our electric meter reader walks from the house to the kennel meter out of the fence of course. Hannah, who is aggressive, and hates most people, loves this guy. She meets him, walks with him both ways tail wagging. How odd, she even hates my son, who has been near her for three years. Even the friendly ones bark at him.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I honestly can sympathize with the mail carriers and delivery folks. My biological Father was a mail carrier and he had a GSD jump through a garage window and attack him once. It required some stitches.

So ........ I purposely tried with all my might to introduce Leeo and Blu Boy to the mail person ... and even supplied the treats ... but she would have nothing doing! She must have had some prior bad experiences or just was not fond of dogs or etc.

What bothers me the most ... being I was trying to make the Boys friendly with her ... is that she goes around and tells everyone that my two little white dogs are the meanest dogs she has ever seen! :/ And if she has a package to deliver ... she pulls up in the drive and blows the horn. She won't get out of her truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My husband is a mail carrier, and while he has only sprayed one dog, he has had a lot of close calls. And a lot of guys in his office have been bitten, every single owner claiming that "he's friendly" or "he won't bite." So yeah, some delivery people get a little paranoid. It is too bad, but you can't really blame them. A lot of owners unfortunately don't have the sense to make sure their dogs can't bite delivery people, or naively believe their dogs immune to the temptation of the mailman's leg.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Around here if you're not home when they deliver a package, UPS will put it by your back door. Once not too long after we had gotten our privacy fence I was in the backyard with all 3 dogs and the deliveryman opened the gate. All 3 dogs kinda rushed towards him and he quick closed the door and just tossed the box over the fence. They were near the back of the yard with me so they didn't get anywhere near the gate before he closed it, but I kinda felt sorry for the poor guy. Now we keep the gates padlocked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts