Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about a long leash (20-50 feet) for training and okay for a puppy?

Our puppy is now just about 4 month old and is getting into adolescent behavior; stubborn, starting to act up and all that fun stuff. We have found recently that she loves water yet when we take her, she wants to jump in and wade and then run around the embankment. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back and am having a hard time getting better. This means it is super hard for me to keep up with her crazy puppy zoomies she gets once in a while by a lake or pond.

I thought about getting a long leash so I could have her run around yet still have a way to recall her. I am still working in her recall skills....

It is so great to see her be so confident with water (or anything for that matter) that I hate to curb this enthusiasm.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Long lines are great. I use my 20ft line all the time.

I prefer biothane because you can let it drag through mud and then wipe it off. The cotton lines get wet and gross

·
Registered
646 Posts
I love long lines! Like elrohwen, I prefer biothane for ease of cleanliness and because it's comfortable in your hand. Also, doesn't hurt that biothane is much cheaper than leather. I got mine at Bold Lead Designs (their Brahma leads are biothane) and love it! They have a ton of different options.

I do want to caution that a harness is highly recommended when using a long line. If your puppy hit the end of a long line at full speed with just a collar she could hurt her neck.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Before investing in a good quality long line you can try one out by making your own from clothesline or paracord with a clip from the hardware store All of those are found in the same section at Home Depot. I made a paracord limited slip collar with square knots with a long line attached for nosework as I am not sure I am committed to the sport and Bucky uses a clothesline long line when we go to the park although I hold the end, he's 2 and gets into trouble real fast. Either make a handle at one end or plan to step on it to stop the pup as any line running through your hands will cause rope burn.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Long lines are awesome.

Just be really careful of rope burns, I've seen some nasty ones, and that's with using good quality lines. Also be really careful of the line wrapping around your dog's legs. If he lunges or jumps or similar, he could tear a muscle or worse.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I do want to caution that a harness is highly recommended when using a long line. If your puppy hit the end of a long line at full speed with just a collar she could hurt her neck.
The harness is very important.
As well as the dogs neck though I'm hesitant to recommend a long because of the tweak in the OPs back. It isn't pleasant when your dog urks you and could really irritate the condition if the pup is continuously hitting end of the even if it's not with force and don't get me started on when they are going full force, has even put out my healthy back/neck so I would just caution that there may be a risk of further injury if you do use one.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Stepping on a long line isn't as hard on the human body though. I am physically limited with a bad knee resulting in a bit of unsteadiness and can step on 11.5 pound Bucky's long line safely. Also be sure you can stop the dog, 42 pound Sassy could with the greatest of ease pull a long line under my foot no matter how hard I was stomping on it! You shouldn't be holding the very end and allowing the dog to run to the end, you should be reeling line in and out so if dog decided to go for something he would only have a couple feet of slack to lunge on. Should but long line handling isn't really very easy! Or I've also tied the long line to a fence with plenty of room around to play semi legally at the park with my dog. Leashes are supposed to be 6' long here but at least dog is safely restrained and of course away from any other park users.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I use a 50' cotton long line because I couldn't find a 50' biothane one. To clean it, I dip it in a bucket of soapy water, swirl it around, go over it once with a rag and hang it outside to dry. Not too much of a pain in the butt!

I've been training my puppy on it since he was 9.5 weeks old, so I think they're wonderful for working on things like orbit distance, recall, etc. There might be a slight learning curve - my puppy thought it was a toy when it kept dragging on the ground behind him, but a few solid "leave it" commands every now and again keep him from chewing on it.

I echo the cautions of others - use with care. I've modified my long line so it has detachable springs and safeties in case the springs break, so I can use it safely with a collar, but a harness would be better if you're going to use a standard non-modified line :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I use a 50' cotton long line because I couldn't find a 50' biothane one. To clean it, I dip it in a bucket of soapy water, swirl it around, go over it once with a rag and hang it outside to dry. Not too much of a pain in the butt!
You can order them custom made online in pretty much any length and color. The materials are pretty easy to get so lots of people make them now.

I pretty much haven't touched my cotton lines since I got biothane. They're just so much less icky when your dog drags them through mud and water daily.

Also less chance of rope burn! I sliced into a finger pretty good one time when Watson took off and I didn't have a good grip on the line (and tried to hold on anyway). The biothane has occasionally burned a little, but hasn't left a mark or cut skin.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
You can order them custom made online in pretty much any length and color. The materials are pretty easy to get so lots of people make them now.

I pretty much haven't touched my cotton lines since I got biothane. They're just so much less icky when your dog drags them through mud and water daily.

Also less chance of rope burn! I sliced into a finger pretty good one time when Watson took off and I didn't have a good grip on the line (and tried to hold on anyway). The biothane has occasionally burned a little, but hasn't left a mark or cut skin.
Oooh, I'll have to check that out. I just searched the generic sellers when I was looking around.

My fingers/hands are pretty much non-rope-burnable after 15 years of dealing with horses and cotton lead lines, but I would prefer the easier to clean biothane, for sure! My cotton line hasn't gotten too dirty because Titan isn't fully vaccinated so I just use it in my yard, but when we start travelling around more, I'm sure it will get kind of gross.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oooh, I'll have to check that out. I just searched the generic sellers when I was looking around.

My fingers/hands are pretty much non-rope-burnable after 15 years of dealing with horses and cotton lead lines, but I would prefer the easier to clean biothane, for sure! My cotton line hasn't gotten too dirty because Titan isn't fully vaccinated so I just use it in my yard, but when we start travelling around more, I'm sure it will get kind of gross.
I get mine from palominelines.com because when I was first looking around their price per foot was pretty good. They are also super fast.

HighTrialK9.com is another place that I know a lot of my FB friends use.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I get mine from palominelines.com because when I was first looking around their price per foot was pretty good. They are also super fast.

HighTrialK9.com is another place that I know a lot of my FB friends use.
Oh, those are really reasonable! $48.00 for a 40 ft line with a handle and rivets? Ordering a black one now... Thanks!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oh, those are really reasonable! $48.00 for a 40 ft line with a handle and rivets? Ordering a black one now... Thanks!
Nice! You'll love it. I use the 10ft ones for most of our walks - my dogs can drag them around my property when they're "off leash", then go right into a walk. I have a 20ft too. I'd like to get a 40ft, but I'm not sure how much I would use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts