Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought home my new long term foster Duncan (formally known as Dugal which is too close to Jubel). So far he's doing really well other than marking the couch once and trying 3 more times to mark other areas that I managed to interrupt. His desire to mark in the house along with his fear of the stairs means he'll be spending the night in his crate rather than my room. We'll have to work on both those things.

He hasn't shown much of his fearful side today and hopefully that was an effect of living at the shelter and he'll continue to improve being in a home. Right now he's very happy to have me pet and love on him as long as I don't touch his belly or go near his feet. No snapping or anything just flinching and moving away if I do. Definitely have to slowly work on the feet, his nails don't look too bad in general but his dew claws are really long.

I'm contemplating taking him to a groomer in a week or two for a bath and nail trim if I don't feel I have enough trust with him yet to do it myself. He's pretty grimy, petting him leaves your hand coated in grease and dirt and at a minimum I want his dew claws trimmed. Not sure if it's worth the stress on him to do it though and he'd need to be muzzled for them to even try it. I'll probably just have to wait until I can build that level of trust with him. Also will look into those dry bath sprays, if they actually do a decent job of cleaning the coat vs. just deodorizing.

Another fun adjustment for him is I'm going to be putting him on a diet, he's a chubby boy. They said he was getting 1.5 cups twice a day with a wet food topper, I'll be cutting that to 1.25 cups twice a day plus training treats to start on top of him automatically getting more exercise being in my home getting 2 walks a day. We'll see how that goes and adjust as needed. He didn't even his dinner tonight. I started out putting it in his crate with him and he didn't eat. Let him out and tried again in the kitchen still didn't eat, I was eating string cheese that he was interested in so I added a few strands to the kibble and he picked them out. After giving him some time and attempting to hand feed with no luck I got a zip lock bag to put it in until the morning (already added a bit off my food to the food I brought home with him). A bit of it spilled and he ate a few kibble off the floor, so I spilled a bit more to see if he'd eat that and no go. He can stand to miss a meal and he got lots of treats today already.

Will post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some Duncan pictures of him settling in and showing the status of his weight and teeth both of which I hope to improve while he's with me.

And pretty content in the crate

Video of what he did when I put his dinner in his crate with him last night, sorry don't know how to rotate it so it isn't sideways

He didn't eat again this morning and I mixed in some peanut butter to entice him with no luck. Going to pick up a can or two of wet food to mix in to hopefully get him eating again, he's happy to take treats just not eat his kibble. Though I figured out later in the morning he apparently isn't a peanut butter fan, shocking I know. I tried to lure him down in the basement with me so he didn't have to go back in the crate while I hopped on the computer. No luck even with treats he does like, guess that's going to be a slow go getting him comfortable going up and down stairs. Means more crate time for him because I can't spend all day in the living room and until I trust he won't try and mark in the house again he's not out of my sight.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small milestone tonight, Duncan tried to play with me some. I was told he'd never even done that with his favorite volunteer he trusted the most at the shelter. Bad news is that he tried to play but getting mouthy with me and that just isn't something I can encourage in a foster with a bite history. We'll have to find another channel for his play drive but it's good to see it's there and he wants to play with me already.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spent about 46 hours without power in a heat wave, made more annoying due to us just getting a new A/C unit installed a few weeks ago. Anyways, took advantage of all that free time with nothing much to do but sweat to work with Duncan and going up the stairs in the house. He was eventually lured all the way up the stairs with treats, Jubel kept occupied by my throwing treats behind me into my room for him to find. Once Duncan finally made it to the top he explored the new room (my bedroom) and decided it's not so bad up there.

He's ventured up the stairs twice now on his own, of course I don't trust him yet so I have to go follow him to make sure he doesn't start marking anything. At this point he seems to understand not to mark in the house in front of us but hasn't made the connection that he can't do it at all yet. Since I hadn't seen him even try to mark in the house after the first day when a few days in Jubel woke me up about 20 minutes before my alarm would go off insistent that he HAD to pee NOW I left Duncan out of the crate after their potty break for the 20 minutes I'd return to bed. Came back down to find Duncan had marked on the bottom stair. Saturday morning my brother let him out of the crate and he tried to mark again, I'd let him out and he'd peed maybe 30-40 minutes earlier. So he's not ready yet.

Duncan is starting to try and play some more which is great but still trying to mouth me too much. Probably going to take longer than I hoped to break him of the mouthing but we'll get there.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I've finally got Duncan happily going into the basement he can spend the evening doing things like the pictures below instead of spending time in his crate.

Duncan and Jubel snuggling with me while I enjoy watching Weeds on netflix

Duncan being silly

He's really starting to do well now after just over 3 weeks. Over his fear of going up and down the stairs in the house, his fear of putting the slip lead over his head and taking it off, and I'm making a lot of progress on being able to touch his feet (still got a ways to go on that though). Duncan has the daily routine down pretty well and has started to eat his plain kibble at each meal with increasing speed. So far I haven't gotten much farther than re-enforcing "sit" which he knows but will rarely do without a treat present. Not even sure where I really want to start with training, I think calming self control exercises would be best as he spazzes out around treats right now.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Duncan seems to look happy in the last photo. I am glad he is making progress. :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Duncan's poor social skills resulted in a little 'fight' between him and Jubel tonight. Because he has such poor doggie social skills it's a bit hard to read him sometimes on whether he's trying to start sh*t with Jubel or trying to play. I trust Jubel enough when I'm there to either avoid conflict or give a mild correction (something I haven't seen him do yet, just avoidance) when Duncan is skirting the line between oddly playful and somewhat rude. I step in and redirect Duncan once he goes far enough into rude and/or I see Jubel reaching his limit of tolerance.

Tonight I was a few seconds too late in removing Duncan from the situation on top of him becoming more forward after 4 weeks to settle in. Duncan crossed the line of Jubel's tolerance and Jubel snapped at him which quickly led to Duncan snapping back. In a matter of seconds Jubel grabbed Duncan's scruff and gave it a quick shake causing Duncan to yelp. I got them separated, Duncan in the kitchen behind the gates. Duncan was pretty shook up over this and it was a tiny bit of a challenge to herd him into the kitchen as he halfheartedly tried to get back to Jubel. Took a good few minutes for Duncan to calm down enough for me to check and make sure he wasn't actually hurt and he was panting/drooling. Once he calmed down and I made sure he had no injury I put him in his crate to settle down until I finished fixing and eating my dinner. Let him back out of the crate and they've been perfectly normal since.

Sadly due to some of Duncan's behaviors I've been feeling it was only a matter of time before he finally pushed Jubel too far and got a strong correction out of him. Thankfully Jubel has good social skills and didn't hurt him. Hopefully Duncan learned to be a bit more polite. Either way I'll definitely be more alert and quicker to step in if Duncan keeps up with these rude behaviors so Jubel doesn't feel the need to give such a correction again.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks for updating this so regularly. I really enjoy reading about how he, Jubel and you are fairing.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I bet the correction sticks! Jubel sounds like a good teacher.

Blu Boy gave new little Eddee one correction about coming close to his food dish. Eddee takes every route as far as possible around Blu Boy now when there is food involved. Blu Boy is a great teacher. He never draws blood.

Glad Duncan wasn't too traumatized. :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I was wrong about Duncan not having an injury, he does have a small cut from Jubel's bite. His coat is SO dense it's hard to find his skin let alone a small cut. I was with him for about 2.5 hours after the 'fight' and saw nothing, put him in his crate and came down to mess around on the computer for about an hour (when I posted last night). When I went back up to let the dogs out for a potty break I saw a blood smear in Duncan's crate and them some blood on his fur. Cleaned him up last night but couldn't get a good look at the source, this morning now that it's not bleeding anymore I got a decent look and it's just a small cut.

So far it looks like Duncan is definitely trying to keep his distance from Jubel unless they are both next to me. I don't want him to be scared of Jubel but it would be nice for him to have a healthy respect for him and not be a pest. Too soon to tell if the lesson stuck. I'd been jokingly telling Duncan for a while now to cut out his obnoxious sh*t with Jubel or he'd get his ass kicked and I guess Jubel had to make me true to my word.

I'll have to get some new pictures this weekend of some body shots of Duncan. It's been four weeks and everyone is telling me it looks like he's lost some weight but as I see him everyday I can't really tell. He definitely should have lost some weight with the added exercise and decreased food intake.

Glad to here people enjoy reading about Duncan and I'm not just rambling to myself haha.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So it's been four weeks of more exercise and less food. Here are the day 1 pictures and day 29 pictures.

Day 1

Day 29

Haha just noticed the deer antler in the first two pictures... it's gone now. They chewed it down enough I had to toss it so neither of them would swallow it. Ordered three more over amazon that should arrive soon, about $12 each including shipping. Not bad considering how long they'll last versus bully sticks that aren't much cheaper.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I see a definite weight loss in Duncan! :D

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep he's making progress but still has a ways to go. His ribs are still pretty hard to feel.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new antlers arrived on Thursday and they are bigger and better than the one I bought at the pet expo in March. I opened the box when I got home from work and dropped all three on the floor. Jubel and Duncan went to town on them right away and once I was changed into some shorts to head out for our afternoon walk I couldn't get either of them to drop the antlers and go for a walk... it has to be very good for Jubel to ignore "Walk." I had to take the antlers away from both of them, thankfully no fussing over that. Once I had them both leashed I toss the antlers back on the floor... not far enough away as they both ran to the end of their leashes and started chewing again. Remove antlers from mouths again, shorten leashes, toss farther, then off for our walk. These are so well loved that they can't just stay on the floor, if they did I think Duncan would have eaten them all by now with some help from Jubel. Jubel does get tired of them after a bit, Duncan has not stopped on his own yet.

Duncan got a full scale bath in the bath tub this morning. He did NOT enjoy it but didn't put up too much of a struggle either. Now he's nice and clean ALL over. He may even be 90% dry by tonight, his coat is just so dense I used three towels on him and he was still pretty damp. We went on a drying walk in the middle of the day just to get him in the sun for a bit moving around. Duncan watched me use the grinder on Jubel's nails then I did some handling on his feet and just touching the off grinder to him with lots of treats. Still a long way to go before I'll be able to actually grind his nails but I've made great progress in just being able to handle his feet.

Duncan made a bit of a friend this morning on our walk. We ran into some of the regulars we often walk with in the morning over the weekends and they're was a woman with a young bichon, ~14#, running around playing in the creek and saying hi to all the dogs. At first Duncan was a bit scared of her I think because she was so excited and in his face we was backing away and going behind me. As the bichon started just running circles around everyone and back down to the creek Duncan got really interested and when she came back to him he tried to play with her. The closest I've seen him to try to play with any dog at least. It was cute and he was having a great time. They went the other direction when we parted ways and Duncan didn't want to leave, I had to almost drag him up the hill in the other direction. So it appears he likes little dogs, I guess less threatening to him.

No real progress on training him anything other than house manners and routine. Though we had a marking incident in the house. It was so hot outside I put off our walk by about 45 minutes and I guess I should have added a potty break when I got home knowing I was pushing back the walk. I brought him into my room as I got changed into shorts for our walk and while I was changing he went over to my laundry basket and lifted his leg. I say "ehh, ehh, No! Stop... Duncan" all as I make my way over to him and he doesn't stop until I reach him and tap him on the butt. Just when I think he's starting to get the idea of no peeing in the house at all ever, each time he proves me wrong. Hadn't seen him lift his leg in the house at all for about 3 weeks. Then not only does he lift his leg he ignores me completely and pees on my clean clothes in the laundry basket. /facepalm

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
LOL on the housetraining/marking thing, ya gotta admit aiming for the clean clothes just takes the cake.

If he's got a really thick coat, might want to get him used to the hair dryer (on the cool or low setting). Very useful.

Little dogs might be less threatening or maybe he thinks they are all puppies? Chester loves little dogs (he likes big dogs too but he doesn't go all goofy for them) and I think he might think they are all puppies (since he acts similar around puppies). He'll lay down and let them climb all over him. He met a tiny MinPin puppy (maybe all of 2 lbs) Saturday and just snurffled with happiness and let the pup wander around over him.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! I got a chuckle out of the marking. I thought Eddee was over it since it has been a few weeks for him too. I scrubbed the carpets yesterday ... and Blu Boy walked over to the recliner and I will be dog-on if he didn't lift his leg!!! Lol! ... a 6 year old potty trained dog! :D Guess he is still not happy about Eddee!

What is in the antlers? Catnip? Lol!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is in the antlers? Catnip? Lol!
They are just thicker so I assume more of the marrow that they love so much. The one I got from the pet expo is pretty flat these are thick and round.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts