Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Where should I board Rowan for the 2 month time?

• Send him to a farm and not see him again till pickup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to board my new puppy for 2.5 months later this year. I have an internship and I cannot bring my puppy to my family home. Rowan is a Great Pyrenees and at the time of boarding he will be 7 months.
I currently have 2 options I'm considering.
1. Take him to a nice kennel that offers ample amounts of time in a large lawn with private playtime included. This place has won a lot of awards and I can request for him to be in the quiet kennel so he is not constantly surrounded by barking.Luckily this is by my family home so I can visit him every day for a few weeks before I have to leave.
2. Take him to a farm home that offers hands on boarding. He will be able to play outside all day and explore with a handful of dogs and they sleep in the house. He will be treated like family and loved on 24/7. However I cannot visit him at all until its time for pickup.

So my question is which should I go with? The farm sounds amazing and he will have a great time but I am worried about losing those few weeks of bonding and continued training.
When I first got him I did not have any plans for interning and was going to play and continue to train him all summer. However this opportunity is too good to pass up and none of my friends can give him the care he needs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Do you have the option to visit the farm with your dog before making a decision? It would be a comfort to know the environment and how your dog fits in with the people and other dogs, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd take the secure location where you can visit over any place that allows dogs from different households to interact freely.

That said I have a friend who runs a kennel and she has a yearly long term guest who moves into her home each visit. She's been taking care of him for years. His owner is in the military and travels with the Snow Birds during the winter.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Does the farm have a fenced area for the dogs? I live in a rural area and can tell you that a lot of free-roaming farm dogs don't live long. Pyrs are particularly known for their wandering tendencies, so he could possibly take off and get shot by a neighbor or hit by a car. So if they don't have a fence, I vote no on the farm, because one big factor in boarding your dog is that you want him to be alive when you get back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts