Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Amstaff Dakota comes inside at night and I always have a bone for him to chew on,it keeps him busy while sitting with us at night otherwise he looks out windows,doors,back and forth to sons room..etc..I normally have been buying the porkrolled chew bones,I am scared of the traditional rawhide bones.The porkrolled bones use to last Dakota about a week worth of chewing,then maybe 3 nights..now they last 30 minutes:p I have also tried the nylabone(eatable kind) Dakota is not interested in chew toys,it has to be something he can actually eat or he want bother.Any ides of a durable,longer lasting chew something would be great.:laugh:

·
Registered
894 Posts
antlers are a god dog chew. my dog loves them.
even though i would not give it all the time, they are long lasting and all natural.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Bully sticks or Himalayan dog chews would work. Both are pretty expensive...overall I think the HDC are a better deal because they last quite a while around here, but it depends on the dog. I've heard that some dogs can power right through the Himalayan dog chews, but mine can't.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Antlers maybe. Bully sticks would probably disappear quickly.

Why is he so anxious inside? Is he pacing between the rooms? I've never had a dog that had to be occupied with chews if they had enough exercise during the day. I'd prefer tiring them out over giving expensive and/or calorie full chews nightly.

Depending on his chewing style, beef knuckle bones are pretty tough but of course, you'd need a place he could chew raw bones without getting everything messy. I will put them in the freezer between chews to last several days. My dog can chew leg bones but dogs that bite straight down on the bone risk cracking a tooth. If he's more of a gnawer than a biter, the big marrow bones might work. Again, fridge or freezer between chews.

ETA: Hooves are another possibility. I've seen them in stores, but my dog has chewed on the trimmings after the farrier took care of the horses and those seemed durable and digestible but they were fresh.

·
Registered
894 Posts
hoofs are long lasting too. i used to buy them. but once the hoof split and got really sharp. so i stoped buying them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoofs are long lasting too. i used to buy them. but once the hoof split and got really sharp. so i stoped buying them.
I have bought the hooves to,once he chewed enough to split them they would have sharp edges so I would toss them.I don't like them either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts