Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I realize his thread is old, but since it's resurfaced...
They legit look like Ewoks.
Jussayin.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Since this thread there has also been more information found out about the odd occurance of the 'recessive' short coat in the Afghan.

They actually don't have the same 'l' long coat allele as other breeds do. The alleles that cause their coat type, and the one predominantly found in Yorkshire and Silky Terriers are different than all the other breeds.

Same rules of inheritance obviously don't apply then, which has to make things very tricky for breeders involved in those breeds.

This study shows that most of the highly variable canine coat types can be explained by the combined effects of as few as 3 gene mutations.
Interestingly three breeds with very long coats, the Silky Terrier, the Yorkshire Terrier and the Afghan hound are the exception. These breeds do not show any difference to short coated breeds in FGF5 or its mutation, suggesting that other genes are involved in hair length.
http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/geneticscoatlengths.html

SOB

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Since this thread there has also been more information found out about the odd occurance of the 'recessive' short coat in the Afghan.

They actually don't have the same 'l' long coat allele as other breeds do. The alleles that cause their coat type, and the one predominantly found in Yorkshire and Silky Terriers are different than all the other breeds.

Same rules of inheritance obviously don't apply then, which has to make things very tricky for breeders involved in those breeds.

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/geneticscoatlengths.html

SOB
I know a smooth afghan, she is so cool.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Anyone know about coat genes in terriers and hounds? Sydney looks like a rat terrier/beagle mix, except that her fur (while still smooth) is much too long and thick. She has a bushy tail, too. Could be another breed in their, but it would kind of surprise me if there was. Is this coat type possible from her assumed mix?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Anyone know about coat genes in terriers and hounds? Sydney looks like a rat terrier/beagle mix, except that her fur (while still smooth) is much too long and thick. She has a bushy tail, too. Could be another breed in their, but it would kind of surprise me if there was. Is this coat type possible from her assumed mix?
Do you have a decent picture of how long and thick her hair is? Or can you compare it to another breed?

The reason I ask is because while beagles are often assumed to have super short fur, and many do, they're nothing at all like as short/slick as a rat terrier. Jack is effectively bald. Some beagles have a super glossy, super tight, super short coat. Not all of them, though. Not by a long shot. Not the best picture, but look at the tail fur on this dog:

Having that kind of fur around/over the back of the neck and down toward the shoulders is also not uncommon. At all.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.