Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently rescued an American Akita from the kennels. She is the most lovely a gentle dog I’ve ever had, and I think she is potentially a long haired Akita as she was clipped due to serious issues with coat due to last owner. Would anyone be able to tell by the pictures below?
Thanks
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
377 Posts
My guess is that if she is a rescue, she is a mixed breed.

My dad showed akitas for years here in the states. In the early nineties, there was a local breed group that was trying to breed longhaired akitas. In reality, they were crossbreeding akitas with Belgian groenendahls trying to get the longer hair. They were unable to produce longhair puppies without introducing another breed. I suspect that many "longhaired akitas" we see today were from such crossbreeding rather than simply breeding for the recessive genes.

As you are not in the USA, it could go either way, but I still think a mix is more likely.

If you really want to know, I recommend doing a dna test.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Pretty girl! It's entirely possible that she's a long coat, with those ear floofs.

According to the UCDavis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory, it is caused by a recessive gene. Coat Length | Veterinary Genetics Laboratory

"Five recessive mutations (variants) in the fibroblast growth factor-5 (FGF5) gene are associated with long hair phenotypes in dogs. p.Cys95Phe (L) is the most common across breeds. c.578C>T (L2) occurs in Akita, Eurasier, Samoyed, and Siberian Husky breeds. c.556-571del16 (L3) occurs in Eurasier breed, c.559-560dupGG (L4) occurs in Afghan hound, Eurasier breeds, and French Bulldog, and g.8193T>A (L5) occurs in Afghan hound."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts