Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a mixed breed terrier named Pugsley! He is 2+ years old, and has always been a little anxious. He would bark non-stop when we take hi out for walks - and his barking is high pitched, so it definitely draws a lot of attention. He gets over-excited when a few things happen: he goes downstairs (we're on the second floor), outdoors - anywhere - the front of the house, backyeard, etc. When we take him anywhere in his crate.

This weekend seemed to have been the worst of it. We went away and left him at my parents' house, which we have done before. We took him in his crate and the 5 minute ride there was nightmare-ish. He barked, yelped, cried, etc. When we got there, heran out of his crate and barked and yelped for about 15 minutes non-stop and even lifted his leg to pee on me!

When I came back to pick him up, he was anxious again, crying this time, and barking profusely even throughout the car ride. Taking him out of the car, he got even louder and more anxious. All of this onyl stopped when we took him indoors and into our room.

He just doesn't like leavingthe room. What can I do? Are there natural alternatives/remedies without going through the medication? Any natural products? Help! I don't think I can bring myself to leave him again knowing that he's acting like this AND my parents are probably just being nice when they say he was "fine."

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why don't you try Click to Calm?

If that doesn't work, there's nothing wrong with using meds. Prozac is the first line treatment for anxiety in dogs, and it doesn't zone them out, it just calms down the screaming inside their heads.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Click to Calm is a book about using clicker training to help your dog calm down.

Prozac (fluoxetine) is something your vet can prescribe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also thinking of something like Bach's Remedy, which is all natural. I was wondering if anyone's ever tried those!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Around here, I've heard mention of Bach's and DAP, but results vary. It can't hurt, but don't combine anything with Prozac without speaking to your vet about it. It's probably not dangerous, but why take the chance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts