Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics. I got off of Loki and my son Darin as we were getting ready to go for a walk

He enjoys his scritches

Loki loves Darin

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like they are very tame and loving from your pictures. How are they will people? Not just your family but others as well.
The female Selene is fine with strangers. But Loki tends to be frightened of strangers due to an incident at the doggie park, with some idiot.

We were at the park and he had a very skittish weimaraner, every time any dog would come up to her she would run behind her owner and hide. Loki wanted to play with her and crawled over to her on his stomache to show how submissive and friendly he is, well the owner picked up one of those sticks that you scoop up balls with and swung it at Loki. Every sense then he hasnt trusted strangers any more. Several by standers seen it and reported it to the park ranger with me and we got the guy banned from the park but the over all damage had been done.
Here's a video of him at the park, if you watch you will see he will not approach the people or allow them to get close because of it. The man at the first of the vid. he walks up to is my husband so that doesnt count http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdoyYhd3HE&feature=g-upl&context=G2239fb0AUAAAAAAAxAA

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm glad you got that guy banned from the park. I'm afraid that if I caught someone doing that I would have done something stupid. I have no tollerance for people who mistreat animals, but especially if that animal happens to be a part of my family.

Your dogs are gorgeous. I wish I could meet them. I have always wanted to get to know wolf-dogs, and wolves for that matter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What beautiful dogs! What is it he's wearing on his nose in the video? Is it a muzzle or one of those gentle lead things?
Its just a gentle leader, if you watch threw out the video you will see he can open his mouth perfectly fine with it on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
They are both high content wolfdogs. Mostly wolf with a dash of malamute
How long have you had Loki and his mate? How/where did you acquire them? I'm assuming you took them in together? How are they with other animals? Loki really does look submissive. He looks like a sweet boy! I'm so in love :) Do you see any wolf behaviour in either dog?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How long have you had Loki and his mate? How/where did you acquire them? I'm assuming you took them in together? How are they with other animals? Loki really does look submissive. He looks like a sweet boy! I'm so in love :) Do you see any wolf behaviour in either dog?
No I didn't take them in together. Loki is a year older then Selene. He will be 5 this spring and Selene 4. Loki I got from St. Augustine wild reserve in Florida when he was 4 weeks old. Selene was a gift from a friend of mine who owns Thornland wolfdogs in Texas when she was around 4 weeks old also.
As far as wolf behavior yes as they both have a lot in them. Both can jump like crazy and dig like crazy, but if you're used to having breeds like huskies it might be nothing new, but it is a little worse then them. You have to have special fencing as a privacey fence or regular 13 guage chain link will not do, they can eat threw that with no problem. I built they're enclosure out of cattle pannels which is 4 guage and there's no way they can eat threw that.
They cant eat just any old kibble like purina because it would give them constant diarrhea, but again if you're used to feeding your animals a good quality food then that would be nothing new either. Some of these animals will develope high prey drives towards smaller animals or females will not get along with other females, but again thats some things you will see in northern breeds and other breeds also. The female only comes in heat once a year and only has puppies once a year unlike regular dogs and they only have them in the spring. The males testicles actually shrink and go back up inside until that period also. To bad all dogs dont breed like this, there'd be far less puppy millers out there, plus they dont breed on they're first year. For ex. Selene didnt go into her first heat until she was two, and Loki still hasnt matured enough to breed and he's going on five, which is not an uncommon thing with these animals. I've spoken to a couple breeders who's males havent bred until one was 5 and the other 6.
They're definately not a animal that you can keep inside like other dogs, now one by themself you might be able to train to be inside while under your constant supervision. With my experience I'd say a male. Loki was fine inside until I got Selene. Selene would of never been able to be kepts inside, she's to head strong, and will eat everything. After Selene came into the picture, Loki decided he didnt want to stay inside anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts