Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Diego vom Nadelhaus is quite a looker!

It's great that the majority of their breeding stock are their dogs- as in, born, raised, and trained to their titles by them. I always think it shows more involvement on the breeder's part. I'm also very impressed that ALL of their dogs have a KKL1! Most people just stop at SchH/IPO titles and hip/elbow x-rays.

Are you looking to buy a dog/puppy, or just browsing? And as for waiting for more experienced GSD people, I'm sure Xeph will show up :D

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
It's hard for me to appreciate a breeder's stock, when I find a GSD like this with a German Shepherd Rescue in Northern CA.
Yes, there are many gorgeous dogs in shelters, from purebreds to mixes. But I hope you're not implying that the shelter dog should be bred in place of the breeder's SchH3 KKL1 German show line GSDs with "V" ratings... and if you're going to start a "why all breeders, no matter how responsible, should never exist and breed dogs" argument, be careful!

I want to throw out a question of my own to German shepherd experts - can a German shepherd without OFA fair or a-normal hips receive the KKL1a title? I was under the impression they couldn't, but I've really no idea.

XEPH! (wait, it's next weekend that she's gone to compete with her boy, right? :p)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say Tuesday was trying to make the point that she (or he?) has a hard time appreciating how nice breeder's dogs look when there are equally stunning dogs in rescue. I'm not really sure WHY that point was being made here...but that's the understanding I got from it -shrugs-

I don't really know much about Shepherds so I can't say anything as far as quality goes for that breeder. Their dogs do appear nice, lots of working titles which is always nice to see.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
has a hard time appreciating how nice breeder's dogs look when there are equally stunning dogs in rescue.
Umm.... when you're getting dogs with working titles, you aren't just going just for "stunning".... I highly doubt that rescue has any kind of drive that someone who wanted a working shep would want.

Still not seeing the connection.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Umm.... when you're getting dogs with working titles, you aren't just going just for "stunning".... I highly doubt that rescue has any kind of drive that someone who wanted a working shep would want.

Hey, I never said it was a good comparison ;)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts

You took the words out of my mouth :D

Most dogs I've met are really quite stunning, but it's not about how a dog looks at the glance of an eye, even when it comes to pure show dogs. There's a standard to be conformed to, to be followed.

A good majority of rescues, I agree, have neither the drive and working ability, nor features that follow the standards when compared to a reputable breeder's breeding stock.

Tuesday probably (*probably* being the key word) saw "German shepherd breeder" and thought "but look at THIS pretty dog, ALSO a German shepherd. Want a nice looking dog? Go to rescues." Tuesday please feel free to correct me

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm not a GSD person but neat dogs. I love to see working or sport dogs. Thanks for sharing the link.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tuesday was trying to make the point that she (or he?) has a hard time appreciating how nice breeder's dogs look when there are equally stunning dogs in rescue. I'm not really sure WHY that point was being made here...but that's the understanding I got from it -shrugs-
Then I don't get it. Maybe I'm dense. They don't have to look or try to appreciate something. If its hard or whatever, just don't look at breeders dogs or websites. I enjoy looking at all different types of sites (although not every kind) that involves dogs. Like petfinder, rescue sites, there are a couple prison websites where the inmates trade rescue dogs (I've seen a couple of those I'd love to meet, even if I know I can't have one, a couple Dutch Shepherds and an Elkhound), breeder sites, pet owner sites and information sites. I love just about all those.

You took the words out of my mouth :D

Most dogs I've met are really quite stunning, but it's not about how a dog looks at the glance of an eye, even when it comes to pure show dogs. There's a standard to be conformed to, to be followed.

A good majority of rescues, I agree, have neither the drive and working ability, nor features that follow the standards when compared to a reputable breeder's breeding stock.

Tuesday probably (*probably* being the key word) saw "German shepherd breeder" and thought "but look at THIS pretty dog, ALSO a German shepherd. Want a nice looking dog? Go to rescues." Tuesday please feel free to correct me
Yours just appeared above mine but exactly. It is like going to a byb, same chances of getting that excellent dog. Which isn't high, its not impossible, but it might not be as high of a chance. I actually wanted to start a thread about this (getting rescue dogs for work), dang I forgot. Many seek out working bred dogs from breeders for work, not show bred, not byb and not rescue/shelter dogs to increase their chances of getting a dog with the right drive and temperament.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I think a thread on rescue dogs for working would be great to read, I bet a lot of people have some insight they'd like to share. I think a similar (not quite the same) situation would be getting a 100% companion dog and then try to work the dog - and I don't mean "working" as in agility or flyball, of course.

A rescue normally cannot offer a fantastic working dog, or a police dog, or a show dog, and definitely not a breeding dog, even though they are a fantastic place to find the perfect friend. I think that's what a lot of people tend to forget when they denounce any sort of breeding in general.

edit: Don't you love how this semi-hijack started off with us saying Tuesday's comment had nothing to do with the original post? :D

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
They look good to me :) Lovely dogs, titled, keeping stuff from their own stock and titling.

I WOULD like to know if they are sending dogs over to Germany to have them titled, or if they're titling themselves.

They do have 3 litters planned in a very close time frame, and another that is just getting ready to go home. I'd like to know why they've got so many going on once. Sometimes there's a good reason for that, other times not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quality speaks for itself..which I see in this kennel.. They have thier right to breed which ever way they choose.. as long as all paper work, testings, titles are accounted for..Not everyone is a puppy mill.. and these people do not look as they are.. So your comment has no justice zeph

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Quality speaks for itself..which I see in this kennel.. They have thier right to breed which ever way they choose.. as long as all paper work, testings, titles are accounted for..Not everyone is a puppy mill.. and these people do not look as they are.. So your comment has no justice zeph
I think Xeph already made it clear that she approves of this breeder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts