Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
He just kept getting worse, we don't put up with rudeness like that from our long established members, those with a much lower post count get very little if any warning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I'm not sure exactly what breed Léon is, but I've had a few people tell me he might be an Estrela mountain dog, so we are going with that for now. he fits the standard both phisically and temperament-wise. Recently, his guarding and protection instinct have really kicked in, so we are learning to manage his agressivity towards other dogs and some people. Overall, he is one very loyal, affectionate, stubborn, sometimes frustrating, but always loving dog.

Your dogs are beautiful, by the way!
Have a look at Carpathian Shepherds... he may have a little of that breed in him

·
Registered
27 Posts
My family and I just got a new pup. Her Moma is Great Pyrenees x Maremma and her Dad is a pure bred Carpathian Shepherd. Her Moma got sick and we had to bring her home at 4 weeks. This was definitely not the plan but we rolled with it. We got her home and settled in. Then got her on a high fat content large bred puppy food and a milk replacer. She's now 7 weeks old and is headed to the vet next week for an exam and deworm/needles but I'm just wondering... is 18lbs normal for a 7 week old pup?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My family and I just got a new pup. Her Moma is Great Pyrenees x Maremma and her Dad is a pure bred Carpathian Shepherd. Her Moma got sick and we had to bring her home at 4 weeks. This was definitely not the plan but we rolled with it. We got her home and settled in. Then got her on a high fat content large bred puppy food and a milk replacer. She's now 7 weeks old and is headed to the vet next week for an exam and deworm/needles but I'm just wondering... is 18lbs normal for a 7 week old pup?
18 lbs is huge - neither our 8 wk old pyr - anatolian or our Bernese mt dog were anywere near that size.... Berner we had a recorded weight on= NINE lbs at 8 weeks, and he is now 130lbs age 2...

I would love to keep this thread going as am very interested in the LGDs - so far the pyr-anatolian is great for a small homestead, he guards everything as he is fairly bonded to the dogs and people but protects his territory as well....
and for next dog I would love a Pyrenean Mastiff (from that lady at LGDs Nevada)..

Maybe slow down on the high fat food -- fast growth is not good for the giant breeds, goats milk is very well reccomended, can you get any of that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
They sell goats milk in some supermarkets around here so it shouldn't be hard to get. However the vet was actually the one who said that she needed the high fat food until is 8-10 weeks. Because she's not getting her Moma's milk. I'm really hoping my scales are just off and she isn't actually that big.

My pups name is Gypsy. She came from near Edmonton about four hours from here. She has more the shepherd coloring. Tan body, some black along her back, black around her muzzle, around the tips of her ears, and black eyebrows. But she seems to have a coat like the Pyrenees. And a little bit of attitude to go with it. She's got huge paws and big droopy ears. I weighed her in this morning at 8lbs 8oz. She's almost house broke and does sit, paw, and lay. She seems to be extremely intelligent! She is being well socialized with other dogs and lots of kids and adults.

She won't be guarding livestock full time though. On weekends we go to my future in laws ranch and she be working then. But the week she will be at my house. Last year we had 14 black bears, 3 cougars, 2 bobcats, countless foxes and coyotes, and one griz... and I have two small kids. Needless to say this concerned me a bit. She'll more or less be a deterrent. We have a full fenced in yard but the apple trees are too tempting for the bears. And unfortunately where the apple trees are is not our land so we aren't able to cut them down. So we got Gypsy. She's more of an alarm than a guard dog though.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
gypsy rose, she looks fine, very cute, def looks like you will get a anatolian style dog with the pyr coat --

ours isnt a fulltime livestock guard either - but he digs under the back cattle gate to supervise the goats if he senses intrusion, I am up late today d/t his barking half the night, be prepared the main line of defense is LOUD obnoxious barking- it was a near full moon last night, so great visibility, there are plenty of hungry bears about making up for their winter hibernation....
(our neighbor behind us has apple trees, so they mostly go there- apple trees are a real hazard in bear country)...

I would hope you get her to puppy class asap, so she can be socialized (dont worry even one socialized to accept other dogs in class and on the street, if you walk her will defend her territory to the death and not allow strange dogs in)... and learn basic training... Mine is about 90 lbs now and I am so glad he knows basic obedience and we still try to leash walk him a few times a week so he can keep in practice...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I kinda live about 45 minutes away from anywhere that has puppy classes so I'll be doing her training myself. But no worries. I have a lot of experience. I've trained all of my own dogs. She gets walked every evening and I socialize her with every dog and person we meet. Her and i make reguar trips to the post office, corner store, and the park. Its a small little town and a couple of us get together to walk our dogs. Large and small breeds together. She's been started young too since I got her so young. At 7.5 weeks she's walking pretty good on a leash, almost completely house broke, and does sit, give paw, and lay. She also has been trained to sit and look at me before she gets her food. Once she sit and looks at me, I tell her good girl and point to her dish, and she goes and eats. She is incredibly smart and catches on to everything so fast. My only concern is her nipping habit. But for 7.5 weeks she's doing amazing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vet appointment today at 1:30pm to have the pup looked at. Might not be getting her shots today now though. Noticed a small abscess type thing on her lower tummy last night. But if its just a little pimple/fester type thing and doesn't need to be treated with antibiotics she will be getting her shots and deworming today. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Vet appointment today at 1:30pm to have the pup looked at. Might not be getting her shots today now though. Noticed a small abscess type thing on her lower tummy last night. But if its just a little pimple/fester type thing and doesn't need to be treated with antibiotics she will be getting her shots and deworming today. Wish us luck!
Definitely! good luck, better to catch the little things whilst they are little....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely! good luck, better to catch the little things whilst they are little....
Thanks! And Exactly!!! My dog Bronx (RIP) use to get them all the time as a pup. The vet showed me how to treat them so I didn't have to keep coming in. However, I want to make sure that's what it is before I do anything. Vet said its probably nothing but better to be safe than sorry. She had to go in today for her shots anyway. Let's just hope it's nothing and she still can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
UPDATE: Gypsy DID have a small abscess on her tummy. However, it was small enough that the vet just put her on antibiotics for 14 days and was okay with her getting her shots today as well. Also my scales have been weighing her a bit heavy. She's actually about 18.5lbs.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
UPDATE: Gypsy DID have a small abscess on her tummy. However, it was small enough that the vet just put her on antibiotics for 14 days and was okay with her getting her shots today as well. Also my scales have been weighing her a bit heavy. She's actually about 18.5lbs.
ok thats a bit odd place for an abcess, with your dog that got them all the time, do you have/had sheep/ goats there is a bacteria that is really difficult to get rid off called CL... we had a scare with our goats recently, it is no joke and contagious to people .... too....

·
Registered
27 Posts
No he was never around livestock in his entire life. The vet said it was rather “normal" for little ones to pop up sometimes. And for some reason they stopped as soon as he was neutered. And Gypsy has only ever been around cattle and horses. But I'm glad you told me about that because my in laws are thinking about getting sheep and goats eventually.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
No he was never around livestock in his entire life. The vet said it was rather “normal" for little ones to pop up sometimes. And for some reason they stopped as soon as he was neutered. And Gypsy has only ever been around cattle and horses. But I'm glad you told me about that because my in laws are thinking about getting sheep and goats eventually.
Oh yes def test for CL it is zoonotic and once carried onto your property can really stick around in dirt for a while... its a pain....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks SO MUCH for the heads up on that!

As of 12am Gypsy's abscess has already started to shrink!!! Our appointment wasn't suppose to be until tomorrow but thankfully they fit us in and got her started on her meds. It turned out that it wasn't anything too serious but it could have been. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup! She is a mix breed livestock guardian dog. Her Mom and Dad were both over 100lbs. Shes Maremma/great Pyrenees/Carpathian shepherd cross.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts