Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, 3 weeks or so ago, I got a new puppy, she has a clean bill of health and has been and is being kept up to date on all her shots.

In about 2 weeks after getting the puppy, my older Cairn Terrier who is 14 suddenly gained 2lbs. Her food was the same, she was getting MORE exercise than before and she has no access to puppy food.

Sunday night Sierra (older Cairn Terrier) didn't eat her food. Not totally unusual. She ate it Monday and Tuesday morning there was a huge amount of puke like I've never seen, all fluid, mucous and a few pieces of food. I cleaned it up and we couldn't figure out which dog it may have come from ...

Fast forward to last night, Sierra has diarrhea like I've never seen from a dog, and because I have to work my mom took her to the vet. The vet gave her a shot to calm her stomach, the dogs are separated and Sierra is on a chicken and rice diet before her blood work comes back tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm worried. With her old age I'm really worried this could be something worse than a liver infection and on top of it, tomorrow I'm going on vacation for 4 days and my mother is watching both dogs.

I'm scared there's something seriously wrong with my older dog and want to be there if there is. Does anyone have any experience with liver infections they can share with me?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I had a Cocker that got a liver infection, and she was vomitting blood that looked like coffee grounds. Very sick. Vet said there was no reason to do a biopsy, because it would be risky and if it was an infection and treated with drugs, it would help he...if it was cancer, it wouldn't. But no reason to biopsy (at 13, I wouldn't have tried to do surgery if it was cancer).

They had her on 3 or 4 meds. Metrozinole, flagyl, something else, and Adensyl 225 (I think that's what it was called. It supposedly is the only med proven to speed up regeneration of the liver.)
She was at the vet's on IV for about 3 days, then sent home. Her bloodwork was awful! But she was eating, so we kept her on meds for about 3 weeks, and had new bloodwork done in 30 days, and it was perfectly normal.

Why are you thinking liver, though? There are other things that could acct for weight gain...thyroid, Addisons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad it ended well!! The vet said it's a liver infection but we're waiting for the blood work to come back tomorrow. I wasn't at the vet's visit so I can't give specifics on whey he thought a liver infection instead of something else, however, her sudden weight gain could be fluid retention from the infection, we'll see tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts