Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a precious little Westie pup two days ago. She doesnt chew her food and just today she started throwing up. She woke up this morning gaging but nothing coming out an hour after she ate she threw up but the food was still solid. She didnt chew it at all she did this twice today. Could this be because she is not chewing her food? I decided to add some water to it to make it softer and that seemed to help her some. any advice would be great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did the food come up with yellow bile? If so that is vomiting (vs regurgitation.) I wouldnt worry so much about regurgitation, make sure shes eating small puppy pieces of a decent food that is transitioned slowly from her old food. But vomiting? Then I'd say Vet visit. No doubt about it. Dry heaves (or maybe coughing?) + vomiting twice + very young dog = immediate vet visit IMO. You'd rather pay the $50 and have it be diagnosed as stress than not and have it be something worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think there was any yellow in it. She hasnt been able to keep any food down at all today. Im getting a little worried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took her to the vet. They said we had to not give her any food or water for about 8 hrs so that her stomach could recover. Then give her very little water every two hours for awhile and watch to see if she keeps it down. If she did then we could start giving her rice and cottage cheese every two hours and see if she keeps that down. She's kept it all down today and tomorrow we are taking her to the vet to see if we can put her back on regular puppy chow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Throwing up is not unusual for a young puppy, especially if they have just moved to a new home. Or they have been transitioning onto a new food.

Are you feeding the pup the same food the breeder/shelter had her on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts