Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is here and all the little bunnies and squirrels are scurrying about doing their critter things. Well, it's not just the bunnies and squirrels that have woken up from winter. Wicket's inner huntress has awaken and her prey-drive finally shows it's face, lol. She has charged a bunny and a squirrel, and is now getting fixated every time when she sees them. And I think she's starting to see birds as targets too. I don't mind her looking, but charging and staring are not things I want to encourage. So far I've been turning around and walking in the other direction, and picking up the pace and not stopping. She still tries to lunge or keeps flinging her head back trying to stare. I'll be working on strengthening "focus" (looking at me) and "leave it" to help with dampening her prey-drive. I'm not sure if I should try to treat while walking away first, or would it be more effective if I make her sit and reward her for looking me instead of the squirrel/bunny and then move up to walking away next. I was just wondering what other things I should do to try to redirect/extinguish this behavior, and what has worked for you?

Thank you so much for any suggestion and advice :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wicket ,
Your thoughts are all along the right way to dampen the pray drive with Wicket.
It will just take a little time and some treats and for the most part it will calm down.
Be glad you do not have a hunting breed as you could just forget it as early am and late afternoon these dogs turn into a different animal....

Good Luck , oldhounddog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts