Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

So we recently took in a new puppy, who grew up with my uncle in Romania for its first 4 months.

About a week ago my uncle and his family came over to our place in Switzerland to bring her over. They ended up staying about 5 days to give the puppy some time to adjust to the house and the family.

Our problems start after they left. So ever since they left the puppy isn't as excited, she doesn't seem depressed, she does play and sleep in bed with me.
She does seem to be a bit scared though, maybe anxious. When she sleeps during the night its no problem. She sleeps in bed with me and doesn't make a noise. During the day tho, she is on edge all the time, she will bark like crazy if she hears any loud noise from outside our apartment, and cant seem to stay home with only one person, it has to be 2 of the 3 or all of us at home, otherwise shell cry... I did however stay alone with her once, and managed to stop her from crying by playing with her for like a full 2 hours :D.

We also have problems with walks, she barks at like half the persons that get within 10 meters of her, and especially she barks at other dogs.

Today I just invited a friend to hang out with her, in the hope of getting her to know new people, I already knew she isn't an aggressive dog, but she was extremely scared meeting my friend. At first she barked, after about 15 seconds she did stop, and we walked a bit, then I gave him a treat to give her and she ate it. She did even after an hour of doing that seem resilient to get close to my friend though, unless he had a treat. And she didn't want to get touched by him.
Now I'm organizing to hang out with another friend who also has a older dog, in hope she gets to meet new dogs as well.

Do you guys think I'm taking it too fast for her?
Would you have any tips to help out with the barking in the house when she hears noises or just any other tips that might help?
I'm a first time owner so I would be really grateful if you could share your experience with me :D, so I can learn a bit and help my dog along.

Thanks a lot !

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try to have a very consistent schedule. Don't do "surprises" of anything out of the ordinary. Keep everything predictable, because puppies like routine.

Just show her lots of love, she'll settle down eventually, this is pretty normal for a new dog in a new home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts