Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people who have two dogs that vary greatly in size, how do you keep the little dog's toys from becoming a choking hazard for the big dog? Some of the little tennis balls I've seen for little toy dogs could easily swallowed by even something as small as a Border Collie.

The reason I'm asking this, is because I'm moving to a small apartment in Dallas with my boyfriend in a couple of months, and we were considering getting a Papillon sometime in the future. Of course we're going to make sure our schedules work out so that we'll be able to spend plenty of time with the dog. However, Sasha, my boyfriend's sister's Australian Shepherd, may also come live with us. I'd like to provide plenty of little toys for the Papillon, such as little tennis balls to play fetch with, but if they're going to be a choking hazard for Sasha... that could be a problem.

I guess this could easily remedied by keeping their toys off the floor when the dogs are unsupervised, but I can't always keep the dogs separate.. what if Sasha dives in and swallows the ball while I'm playing fetch with the Papillon in the living room or something?? And what about leaving a little Kong toy or a small chew-toy out for the Papillon? I can imagine being home alone without any stimulation would be quite tedious, but I don't want Sasha to get hurt.

Any suggestions? This has been puzzling me for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, honestly, I only get toys that they both can play with. You pretty much just have to make sure that the smaller dog can carry the toy.
I don't use tennis balls though. Our Aussie has just never really been interested in them. Maybe you could try a frisbee with your Aussie? (Watching a pap try and catch a frisbee is pretty funny, not to mention watching them carry one back to you).
We do have small Kongs for our paps. They are kept in their crate though and they never come out. I don't want them to 1. lose their Kongs 2. fight over their Kongs (especially if I'm not around and one smells more like food than the other) and 3. I really don't want our Aussie to get one of the Kongs (and choke or tear it to pieces).

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I suppose an in-between sized toy would work. I may have to bring their mouths with me to the pet store to measure, lol! But we have so much fun bouncing the tennis ball through the living room with Sasha, I'd feel guilty not alloiwing the Papillon to participate! I might look into buying one of those little "soft" frisbees ment for toy dogs, though. =D

But also, Sasha tends to carry her Kong toy almost everywhere she goes, so I don't think she'll agree with keeping it in her crate, Lol! I can try to train the Papillon to keep its Kond in its crate, though, I suppose.

I have seen small dogs carrying full sized balls :D

Ok now that you took it the wrong way :p I actually meant tennis balls.
LOL!

So do you think a Papillon could manage then? XD I guess I could see a little terrier or something being able to hold it, but Papillons are pretty small..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
So do you think a Papillon could manage then? XD I guess I could see a little terrier or something being able to hold it, but Papillons are pretty small..
Wait, I just found a tennis ball from when we went play tennis once last summer, I tried to get Holly to carry it, but she wants no part in that. I don't think she could carry it much any way. So tennis balls might be a tad too big for them. But I'm not sure... if it's something one of my paps really wants... they'll make sure they get it no matter what haha.

Our paps rarely actually get the toy when we're playing with the Aussie, though, but they enjoy chasing her and trying to trick her into dropping it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts