Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be terrified of little dogs :redface:. I am starting to really love them now,lol. I love big dogs. I have always had big dogs. My next dog will be a gsd. I have been wanting one forever. I will also always have a lab but think somewhere in there I can squeeze in a little dog :D I am just not sure what breed. I want a dog that can go hiking with me and just loves being outdoors. I would also want a dog that could keep up with the "big dogs". Also not a to high maintenance dog. it will be a few years before I get a small dog but I am a person who has to research the breed and get to meet some dogs of that breed before going through with it. A little weird I know but I want to know what I am jumping into. here are a few breeds I have considered

-Pappilons(sp?)
- fox terrier
-beagle(My grandma had some and i loved them)
- mutts(cant leave them out :))
-Yorkies

Can anyone put there in put on any of the breeds I have considered? Any breeds I havn't thought of? I am new to the little dog world and want to make sure I can get a dog that will fit my life-style.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am going to suggest a Terrier of sorts ... even the mixed ones are IME raring to go the majority of the time! Mine have all been mixes and always wanting to run or be outdoors doing something .... from hiking to rodent hunting. Lol! :) Terriers seem to be big dogs in small packages and crazy smart too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Biased as usual lol ;)
I have always owned yorkies and they are fantastic little dogs.They really arent as high maintinence as some people will make out,because unless you´re showing,then all they need is a bath once every couple of weeks and a brush once a day (takes 2 minutes).They can walk for MILES (we go on long walks) and they love the outdoors (although it´s taking one of my pups some times to get used to lol).
They´re very adaptable.You dont have to live in a huge house,they´re fine somewhere small,they´re energetic if you want to play,but calm down when you need them to,and although they do have a reputation for being very vocal,this is always true at all.Mine love everyone and everything and they are total lap dogs too,so you get lots of cuddles :)
They´re huge dogs in a tiny body lol.They´re very full of themselfs..you cant not get a yorkie without wanting another lol.

Just on a side note,if you do decide on a yorkie,make sure it´s one of the "bigger" ones ;) Especially if it´s going to be rolling around playing with bigger dogs - because it totally will ;) lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Beagles all the way! They're big hounds in a little package, have no issues running with the big dogs and are adorable little cuddlers. Plus, you can find so, so many beagles in shelters and rescues. Our local shelter only has about 30 dogs at any given time, and at least 3 of them at any one time are beagles, sometimes as many as 7.

Note: the reason you see so many beagles in rescue is twofold. 1. Beagles are escape artists and will follow their noses anywhere, so if you don't take care to keep them contained, they do end up as strays. 2. They can be a bit vocal, particularly if left away from the family in the back yard. Inside, getting proper attention and exercise, it's not a big problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would say a Papillon, but they're really fragile.. and playful, so it would really depend on how your bigger dogs behave around smaller breeds. Papillons are definitely big dogs in a small package though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I vote for a yorkie:) Mine is a terrier through and through...you should see her "hunt" ants, lol. She's 6 lbs, so smal and easy to take places or to travel with, but she's sturdy...she can walk about 5 miles with me (as long as we stop for a halfway water break).

If I had unlimited resources I could totally become a yorkie hoarder. :) Plus, you should totally see what tiny yorkie zoomies look like. !!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would be careful about Papillons or Yorkies as they can be very small. I would be uncomfortable with a 5-7 lb dog around big dogs that are at all playful. A dog that small is going to have small, thin bones that could break if a large dog accidentally sits on them or hits them too hard. I would look more in the 12-20 lb range. I have a 12.5 lb Havanese and she's big enough to have thick bones so she can play with my standard poodle (reasonably) safely. I wouldn't be worried about endurance in small dogs, except perhaps in brachiocephalic breeds. Myself and many other people on here have small dogs that hike for miles and run like crazy. My Havanese went on 10 km hikes last summer and still had zoomies after dinner.

I guess 'low maintenance' includes a shedding dog, which rules out a number of small dog breeds which require brushing and to be taken to the groomers fairly frequently (mine goes about 5 times a year). I'd recommend terriers, probably. You have fox terriers on your list, but maybe a lower key jack russell or jack russell mix would work as well. Beagles also seem like a good fit.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ever look into a schipperke? Seems like a good fit.

My papillon was 3 lbs and she played with a 50 lb gsdmix all the time and hiked like a champ.

Hmmm.. maybe a beagle or Beagle mix..

Or a cairn terrier...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd suggest one of the medium sized terriers. They're very sturdy and can hike forever.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thanks guys!! My cousin has a fox terrier/beagle mix and I love her. That is why I put both breeds on there. With Basenji's are they easy to train or stubborn?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dixie is a cairn terrier mix. She is small but she loves to go hiking. She can easily pull you up a mountain. She has almost endless energy and enthusiasm. She is an awesome outdoor companion. She can't be off leash though. If she comes across a squirrel, chipmunk etc. she is off and running.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have a soft spot for most terriers. If and when I choose a small dog, it will probably be a JRT, rat terrier, smooth fox terrier, or something along those lines.

Based on the ones I knew growing up, I always thought they were little devil dogs. Then I started actually working with dogs which gave me a completely different perspective. They(general they) are very intelligent, athletic, and sooo sweet. It's a whole lot of dog in a little package.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If you like Yorkies, but want sturdier - check out Silky Terriers. I tend to think that's what Jackson is and from talking to breeders, they tend to think so too. Everything I see and read about these dogs and I just fall more in love. I feel like they are the best kept secret of the terriers/toy dogs, as they are definitely more rare (tho easily confused with a Yorkie).

Jackson can do everything a big dog can do, and enjoys chilling with the big dogs. He can go go and keep up all day long but he also is okay to chill for a day if he has to. He's just a got a way about him. He's very active but NOT "hyper" most of the time.

As far as high maintenance - yes he does require grooming... but I keep him short and he's really very easy (but I do pay to get him clipped every 8 weeks). But in between, I don't do much except give a bath once a week, or once every other week depending. I don't really ever even brush him. He dries very quickly, and dirt doesn't stick around, etc, but like I said I keep him short.

Here's a description that basically matches Jackson to a tee... just something to keep in your mind.

The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safe area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He can occasionally be suspicious toward strangers. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner, although he may occasionally be obstinate, and doesn't always obey you. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton is a small dog. I never thought I'd want a small dog but he just fits into our life better than a big dog would. He's very sturdy, smart, funny, and very cuddly. He's a mixed breed from the SPCA - dachshund and I *think* JRT, but only his mama knows! I don't know how he'd do with hiking with his stubby legs... but he loves being involved in everything!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a dogforums crush on Hamilton. One of my favs, just thought i would tell ya.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I actually don't have a ton of small dog experience but my Chihuahua/terrier mix is one of the best dogs I've ever had and if I get another small dog I'll be seeking out that mix again. Super smart, laid back, ready to go when I am but also willing to lay around the house. Also, my mom's Dachshunds love to hike off-leash and stuff.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would tinnkerbell be considered in the "bigger" yorkie group? She is about 5-6 pounds. She has gotten just a tad bigger since this pic. She is my grandpas yorkie. That is his Chi Sam next to her(he is EVIL!!!)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check out the Border Terrier! They're a friendly, spunky, tough little terrier with a wire coat that needs stripping only twice a year. They can go for miles but aren't as, ummm, energetic (for lack of a better word) as JRT's and the like. They're one of the easier terriers to train, and are one of the cuddlier ones :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would tinnkerbell be considered in the "bigger" yorkie group? She is about 5-6 pounds.
<5-6lbs is still pretty small but still a great size - not tiny :).The bigger more sturdy yorkies are the ones that weigh around 7+ lbs ;) My Jess was a 7+pounder and she was also thick boned,very sturdy.You can more or less calculate what a yorkie will weigh as an adult when they´re pups.
You can either multiply what they weigh at 8 weeks old by 3,or multiply what they weigh at 12 weeks old by 2 ;) It´s a great rule of thumb that actually works.

Being as we have 3 kids,we have always looked for the "bigger" yorkies too :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts