Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't train this behavior but I'm glad she naturally has it...
We were training on sitting immediately when I stop and paying better attention to me when we walk and I had been consistently feeding her treats at each stop. I made the mistake of not changing how my hand looked (and had been resting it in the treat bag) and decided to pet her instead of treat her. Poor dog assumed I had a treat as reached down to pet her. Since I didn't stop at mouth level and she opened her mouth to take the treat (and I wasn't paying 100% attention as I heard something in the bushes near by) I ended up with close to my entire hand in her mouth. (I'm not proud I wasn't paying 100% attention). The good part is my dog's amazing bite inhibition. She immediately released my hand (by pulling back) and I came without a single scratch/red spot. She didn't even try to bite down or take the food she thought was there. She knows you don't do anything to human hands in your mouth.
As I am working towards her CGC and hopeful TD certification I am thrilled that bite inhibition come so naturally to her. We will most likely be working with elderly and children who may not know/accidentally put hands in/around her mouth and I can say I am so happy that even when food is involved (and she LOVES food) that she does nothing. Happy dance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts