Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about littermate syndrome about a week ago when Sacha got increasingly snarky with Bob. They are both 1 year old, although they are not related.

I wanted to update and say that Sacha, who was always pulling on walks, snarking at Bob on walks and at home (especially when we got home from being away), reactive to other dogs, and interfering with our affection with him has almost completely stopped since we started separate walks. She also pees on her walks- which she never ever did n the previous 10 months. She still save sher poos for our yard :wink:

Bob, on the other hand who was 'the good one' now pulls on walks and has become more reactive to other dogs. He also chased motorcycles the first week- something I taught him not to do 10 months ago- but had to reinforce w/o Sacha around. On the plus side, he has put on 2 kilos (he was under-weight for no reason- except littermate syndrome!) :clap2:

I think they are both developing and becoming more well-rounded and Bob's issues will resolve quickly with continued training.

The Patricia McConnell book "Feeling Outnumbered" just became available in an e-book format for $6 on her website. We'll be reading that next.

I'd love to hear more from multi-dog households....do you have anything special you do to manage them and keep your sanity?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Abbylynn! Thanks for the feedback!!

The shifts were so immediate and so resounding, the time apart is helping to curb Littermate Syndrome. It's exciting!

And the weight gain has relieved me. We tried EVERYTHING.

I think you'll find this article very interesting:

http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/

I will attempt to say that your pups are still quite young and still developing their adult personalities. I am willing to bet with consistent training with a one-on-one basis will be the key. :)

I do not do anything special with my dogs. My dogs behave like kids. When the phone rings .. they get into stuff! Lol! I just believe in "Time Out" for rowdy dogs. I will put them in a sit and stay for about two minutes. Release ... if they continue ... repeat. Sooner or later they "get" it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts