Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned about littermate syndrome about a week ago when Sacha got increasingly snarky with Bob. They are both 1 year old, although they are not related.

I wanted to update and say that Sacha, who was always pulling on walks, snarking at Bob on walks and at home (especially when we got home from being away), reactive to other dogs, and interfering with our affection with him has almost completely stopped since we started separate walks. She also pees on her walks- which she never ever did n the previous 10 months. She still save sher poos for our yard :wink:

Bob, on the other hand who was 'the good one' now pulls on walks and has become more reactive to other dogs. He also chased motorcycles the first week- something I taught him not to do 10 months ago- but had to reinforce w/o Sacha around. On the plus side, he has put on 2 kilos (he was under-weight for no reason- except littermate syndrome!) :clap2:

I think they are both developing and becoming more well-rounded and Bob's issues will resolve quickly with continued training.

The Patricia McConnell book "Feeling Outnumbered" just became available in an e-book format for $6 on her website. We'll be reading that next.

I'd love to hear more from multi-dog households....do you have anything special you do to manage them and keep your sanity?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I will attempt to say that your pups are still quite young and still developing their adult personalities. I am willing to bet with consistent training with a one-on-one basis will be the key. :)

I do not do anything special with my dogs. My dogs behave like kids. When the phone rings .. they get into stuff! Lol! I just believe in "Time Out" for rowdy dogs. I will put them in a sit and stay for about two minutes. Release ... if they continue ... repeat. Sooner or later they "get" it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Abbylynn! Thanks for the feedback!!

The shifts were so immediate and so resounding, the time apart is helping to curb Littermate Syndrome. It's exciting!

And the weight gain has relieved me. We tried EVERYTHING.

I think you'll find this article very interesting:

http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/

I will attempt to say that your pups are still quite young and still developing their adult personalities. I am willing to bet with consistent training with a one-on-one basis will be the key. :)

I do not do anything special with my dogs. My dogs behave like kids. When the phone rings .. they get into stuff! Lol! I just believe in "Time Out" for rowdy dogs. I will put them in a sit and stay for about two minutes. Release ... if they continue ... repeat. Sooner or later they "get" it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What you are doing is great you will learn a lot from the booklet. All can do is give you a summary of the booklet :) and maybe a few words of my own. All multi dog households "littermates or not" need time seperate from each other and trained one on one with the other dogs not around. If we don't do that they will grow a strong bond together and not rely on the human "bad for training no focus" and the dogs can get seperation anxiety when seperated and then we have big problems seperating them as life goes on. So take seperate walks and train inidvidually and switch off with your spouse. Same as one dog family be a benevolent leader to each dog "seperate" so they always look to human for guidence and we can install the behaviors/actions we want with +R/CC

Also multi dog households there is always going to be conflicts as to who goes first as in eating , doors , attention ETC. we as humans should let the dogs decide on this and follow what the dogs agree on to keep the peace. Just do not let one get pushy and start stealing toys "usually when a dog has possession of a toy its theres no stealing". Usually quarrels start when going out they all rush to door, guest coming for a visit the all rush to greet, feeding time, toys ETC. So we can train group waits , stays, and release commands.

They also pick there favorite spots like us humans like a doggie bed, or by the bed ETC.
Fun booklet and learning how to deal with multi dogs enjoy! Also agree with Abbylynn put up with no bad behavior towards each other "any type of aggression" they are both young I would try and read the dogs before anything goes wrong and interven if you think things are going bad. Alway reward good behavior even if there just relaxing next to each other or anytime there together and behaving.

Over time and training sounds like they will work things out :) and you can add your next one "have fun"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts