Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On March 7th I'm getting a miniature australian shepherd that well probably be between 14 1/2" to 15" full grown. I was wondering if I could litter box train her or if she well be too big for that and if it's easy or not because potty training is a big issue at our house. I would like to litter box train her because I was thinking if I do she won't have to be locked up during the day and well have free roam of the house to go whenever she needs to. Any tips?

Edit: After reading all your replies, I think I well just take her outside. My mom well be home the first week to start on potty training but after that I will be gone from about seven to three everyday but my parents well be able to come home for lunch everyday at about 1:30. So, can a nine week old puppy hold it that long? If she stays in a crate would I have to put down puppy pads etc.? I don't want to start any bad habits though and let her think that it is ok. My first and only dog was already potty trained therefore, we don't know much about it.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Why can't you just take her outside?

A mini aussie isn't really that small of a dog, and im my opinion, just a way for someone to make money.

How old is the puppy going to be?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yes, but a mini aussie is quite larger then a JRT, so I doubt a regular sized cat box or litter box would be adequate.

It's never a good idea to leave a dog for long periods of time unattended and out loose, until they are of age to be trusted but still there many things they could eat and become fatally ill.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
I have miniature pinschers. They are litter trained. I have a sheltie. He is not. I wouldn't train any dog who can handle the cold to use a litter box. The ONLY reason the minpins are litter trained is because they CANNOT stand the cold in the dead of winter and they can get into trouble FAST when it is very, very cold.

A mini aussie would have no trouble going outside in the cold and will be a half decently sized dog. I think that's way too big a dog to use a litter box. Most dogs like to rotate around and around to get the "right spot". We have the largest litter boxes available and they're just a teensy bit bigger than the smallest a minpin could handle and my minpins weigh 6 and 7 pounds. They're tiny dogs.

If she really wants to litter train her aussie, she'd probably be better off using training pads or a WizDog or something similar to that.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'm not a fan of the litter box. I really don't want anything that can be ingested by the puppy in that area. Kitty litter is usually either clay or silica gel and neither one is edible. Same goes for cardboard boxes and plastic trays that hold that litter.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'm not a fan of the litter box. I really don't want anything that can be ingested by the puppy in that area. Kitty litter is usually either clay or silica gel and neither one is edible. Same goes for cardboard boxes and plastic trays that hold that litter.
I wouldn't want anything like that ingested by my kitty either! There are safe kitty litters that aren't clay now. There are even dog specific litters but I think the cat ones are cheaper. Same stuff. Recycled paper.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
You do NOT use kitty litter to litter train dogs. You use dog litter or shavings or puppy pads in the box. I use Yesterday's News. It's compacted newspaper. If he does eat it, it's not harmful but, of course, he's not allowed to eat it. Same with the box. You have to supervise, as with all puppies all the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would think with some dogs if you wanted them to go outside in the future, that some could get confused and/or you would basically have to retrain them to go outside. After they have already learned to go in a certain spot inside.

I personally wouldnt do it, however some have luck with it and would rather do this method. But, I do wonder to if the dog may end up being to big for it. If the dog can handle it outside, why not just start off for that instead?

Just some random thoughts of mine. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't let the people sway you to not use a litter box. SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TOO. SOMETIMES LIVE ISN'T PERFECT TO BRING YOUR DOG OUTSIDE TO PEE ALL THE TIME! NOR DON'T LET PEOPLE SAY, "THEN YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE A DOG"

Do this, get a tray, use a storage bucket or make one. Low enough for the dog to walk onto without it feeling trapped. Mow your lawn, someones lawn, just get cut grass. Toss it in there. You can put some mulch or dirt under the grass first. Then get a large tarp. 5 feet by 5 feet. Put the tray in the middle. There you go. Now just clean up any mess that comes your way cause indoor potty training comes with set backs sometimes.

My dogs has no problem peeing inside or outside. My chiuahua poops or pees on the mat right when I get my leash to take her somewhere. My other two dogs pees and poops later.

Do what you can! and ignore the nay sayers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts