Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm hoping to get my first dog in the next couple of months (I'm seriously considering a puggle).

I'm interested in the possibility of litter box training him/her and I've got a question about this. I don't have any place on the main floor that would be good to keep a litter box. I have a full basement (finished) and a main floor. Do you think it'll be a problem for me to put the box in the basement and put a doggie door in the basement door?

Of course, I realize that I'll have to crate train him down there for the first few weeks or so.

Also, once he's box trained, do you think he'll be ok by himself for a few days at a time--2-4 four days max (I only expect that to happen a couple times a year). I'd set up a couple extra litter boxes if I were to do that.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Would you leave a child locked in a basement for a few days at a time? With no one to even check in on them?

Why are you wanting a puggle?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would say what you are hoping for is not very realistic. I have no idea what the size range for a pug or beagle is so no clue on how small or large a puggle may be to indicate if litterbox training is even an option.

My dog uses a puppy pad inside a litterbox. I opted against actual litter since there is the digging thing with dogs, plus tracking it through the house and we have cats so didn't want any confusion. We opted to use puppy pads instead of litter and put them inside a dog litterbox to safeguard against leaks. I think it also helps to give a very clear idea of where he is to use the bathroom.

I imagine training him to use a litterbox that is far from the main living area will be more difficult--not just for him to make it down there on his own and use it properly but also for you to remain diligent about taking him down there and training him to use it. It takes time to train your dog's potty habits whether you are taking them outside, having them go in a litterbox or on puppy pads.

I don't think any dog is ok by themselves for 2-4 days. Bathroom habits aside, it's simply too long for a dog to be alone in my opinion. Dogs get bored! They need interaction with people and they need exercise.

Please know I'm not trying to be smart or rude, but I honestly think you may find the company of a cat to be more fitting with your lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Also, once he's box trained, do you think he'll be ok by himself for a few days at a time--2-4 four days max
Um, no. You get a dogsitter or a kennel stay lined up, you don't leave a dog alone in a house for four days. They're not goldfish.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Really and truly not trying to be rude, and maybe this has been addressed already but how are you going to feed and water a dog that is alone for 2-4 days? How is it's litter box going to cleaned during that amount of time?
If it's only once a year, board the dog or something... anything but leaving it home alone for that amount of time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you leave a child locked in a basement for a few days at a time? With no one to even check in on them?
No I wouldn't. Sorry I wasn't clear. When I visit my parents, they tend to want to go away for a few days--last year they decided to go to Memphis for the weekend. I had figured that I'd provide extra litter boxes and buy those timed feeders to make sure he had clean food and water.

Why are you wanting a puggle?
Because after talking with a trainer about my needs/limitations, we concluded that was the best breed for me.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What is so different with a Puggle that you can't get with another breed?

I really don't think leaving your dog alone for 2-4days is a good idea, even if it is only once a year... Would you leave a two year old home alone for 2-4days? OF COURSE NOT! Dogs, like children, can never be underestimated and get into things and do damage you'd never think possible... The risks are too great and I would highly suggest you get a pet sitter- They're the cheapest, and all you would need is their cheapest package: Someone to come over twice a day and check on him to make sure he has food and water and isn't getting into things he's not supposed to.

As far as the litter-box thing... Dogs are NOT cats and should never treated as such... Dogs are different from cats for many reasons and the fact they need interaction and fresh air is proof of that. Cats are homebodies, and love being alone, except for your few exceptions... Dogs are nothing like that, you may have a few that prove me wrong, but dogs need to be outside... It's cool to litterbox train them, but don't think that's enough for a dog.

Good luck! : )

·
Registered
714 Posts
And if the dog happens to spill his water? He has no water for 4 days?

I'm just a bit stunned that anyone would think they could leave a dog alone for 3 or 4 days without someone checking on them. Take him to a boarding kennel when you go away.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
No I wouldn't. Sorry I wasn't clear. When I visit my parents, they tend to want to go away for a few days--last year they decided to go to Memphis for the weekend. I had figured that I'd provide extra litter boxes and buy those timed feeders to make sure he had clean food and water.
No. You take the dog to a boarding facility.

Because after talking with a trainer about my needs/limitations, we concluded that was the best breed for me.

Thanks for all the responses.
A puggle is not a breed, it is a mixed dog from two different breeds. Go google "designer dog" and "byb" and then come back.

The best pet for you would be a stuffed animal.

(Guys cats and fish need love too. Well maybe the fish don't need love ;) but my new aquariums do take time to maintain and care for. The cats too.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And if the dog happens to spill his water? He has no water for 4 days?
Well the thought was to use several of those timed feeders and water bowls with 2 liter bottle of water attached.

But y'all have set me straight. I'll find somebody to leave him with. I was just trying to find a way of dealing with the fact that my parents have been known to just decide on the spur of the moment to pick up and go someplace. But I'll find a way to arrange for someone to take him if/when that happens.

At the time of the original message, I thought that leaving multiple sources of fresh water, food in timed feeders and litter boxes he'd be fine. But I guess that was just wishful thinking. :eek:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow.

Isn't there a thread somewhere about how this forum treats newcomers? I've seen quite a few threads on here recently that are just REALLY negative. People are coming on here and asking for advice/assistance. The OP didn't say "I'm going to leave my dog for 3-4 days" he asked "Is it okay..."

My response:
No, it's not okay to leave a dog for even one day and night unsupervised. They can get into a lot of trouble, and might do things like tip over their water in boredom, and then not have any water for the rest of the time. Check into boarding kennels... there are a lot of them that are very good and quite reasonable. Otherwise, perhaps there is a dog-savvy friend or relative you can leave your dog with.

I think it's completely ridiculous to insult and demean the OP for asking a question. Additionally, it will get you nowhere. If I had been treated the way a couple of newbies have been treated in their first few posts on this forum, I would've turned tail and run... and then been none the wiser about important issues like designer breeds/BYBs/etc.

And regarding litter box training:
I do know people that train small breed dogs to use a litter box. As someone else stated, a wee wee pad in a litter box is the way to go, rather than actual litter. Be careful leaving a puppy alone with a wee wee pad, however, as some pups are prone to eating them, and that could cause problems. It is also important for a dog to be able to go outside and play, however, so make sure you are not keeping him/her cooped up in the house all the time.

Also, I think it's important to note that the OP stated that the litter box will be in a finished basement, so it's not some cold, damp, dark place the dog will have to go to potty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow.

Isn't there a thread somewhere about how this forum treats newcomers? I've seen quite a few threads on here recently that are just REALLY negative. People are coming on here and asking for advice/assistance. The OP didn't say "I'm going to leave my dog for 3-4 days" he asked "Is it okay..."

My response:
No, it's not okay to leave a dog for even one day and night unsupervised. They can get into a lot of trouble, and might do things like tip over their water in boredom, and then not have any water for the rest of the time. Check into boarding kennels... there are a lot of them that are very good and quite reasonable. Otherwise, perhaps there is a dog-savvy friend or relative you can leave your dog with.

I think it's completely ridiculous to insult and demean the OP for asking a question. Additionally, it will get you nowhere. If I had been treated the way a couple of newbies have been treated in their first few posts on this forum, I would've turned tail and run... and then been none the wiser about important issues like designer breeds/BYBs/etc.

And regarding litter box training:
I do know people that train small breed dogs to use a litter box. As someone else stated, a wee wee pad in a litter box is the way to go, rather than actual litter. Be careful leaving a puppy alone with a wee wee pad, however, as some pups are prone to eating them, and that could cause problems. It is also important for a dog to be able to go outside and play, however, so make sure you are not keeping him/her cooped up in the house all the time.

Also, I think it's important to note that the OP stated that the litter box will be in a finished basement, so it's not some cold, damp, dark place the dog will have to go to potty.
I am with you. I really love this forum for advice but sometimes things get so negative and there seems to be an attitude of almost snobbiness like "hey I am a dog expert so I will put someone down for asking questions". oKay rant over- I understand that to us experienced dog owners the idea of leaving a dog alone is laughable but to someone who wants a dog but doesn't know these things it's normal to ask questions.

I think the OP got the idea that no you can't leave a dog alone for 4 days and he said he would not do that then.

As far as litter box training- I think it is possible but definitely not preferable to outdoor training. I used pads for my pup when he was too young to hold it and I had to leave him and taught him to go outside at the same time. Some people even think that is a bad idea but it worked out okay for me.
I would reconsider soley litter box training a dog though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts