Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I was curious if anyone can list(or point me to an existing list) the top few dog food brands that are made specifically in the USA?

Also, is there a good place to research the ingredients in those food brands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I was curious if anyone can list(or point me to an existing list) the top few dog food brands that are made specifically in the USA?

Also, is there a good place to research the ingredients in those food brands?

Thanks!
Most dog food sold in the USA is made in the USA. The USA consumes a lot of it, and dog food is heavy and bulky and therefore costly to ship overseas. Even crappy foods like Purina Dog Chow and Ol' Roy are made in the USA - it is no way a guarantee of quality.

Now, if you asking about foods made with only USA ingredients, that's another story all together and I don't know if there is a list that contains that information, in part because the sourcing of ingredients may change occasionally when a producer is not able to supply a company with the necessary product, which can happen seasonally or because of other shortages or higher demand, etc.

Could you clarify what you mean by "Research the ingredients"? Most brands of dog food have a list of ingredients on their website. You'll likely have to call the company to find out where any one ingredient is coming from though. If you're wondering about what each ingredient is used for and/or what it does as part of the dog food, Dog Food Advisor and the Dog Food Project both contain information on individual ingredients, although their perspectives are a bit different.

You may be interested in reading these articles:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/dog-food-chin/

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/made-in-the-usa

Finally, I can tell you several foods that aren't made in the USA, but are still considered by many dog owners to be of very high quality: Orijen, Acana, Legacy, Pulsar, Amigen, Now!, and Go! Fresh, and FirstMate are all made in Canada. Legacy, Pulsar, and Amigen use 100% North American ingredients; Orijen and Acana specifically state that their foods are 100% free of China-made ingredients, including vitamins. FirstMate sources their ingredients "Primarily from North America", with lamb meal from Australia. Farmina is made in Europe and has only recently become available in the USA, where it has been very well received by dog owners - there are many people on this forum who feed it and have reported being very happy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this is very useful. What would be considered the top 2-3 US dog food brands?

By Ingredients I means like a website that compares the brands and evaluates the ingredients. The reason I asked about it is because I remember once having someone point me to a site where it broke down the food by healthy ingredients. But im sure I can find this, especially if you say they are clear on each food type.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Thanks, this is very useful. What would be considered the top 2-3 US dog food brands?

By Ingredients I means like a website that compares the brands and evaluates the ingredients. The reason I asked about it is because I remember once having someone point me to a site where it broke down the food by healthy ingredients. But im sure I can find this, especially if you say they are clear on each food type.

Thanks!
I'm not a good person to ask about USA-made foods because I try to support Canadian companies (if that wasn't clear). Regardless, I don't think there are only 2-3 "top" quality USA-made brands; I can list off a bunch of high quality brands, but there is no one food that works universally for everyone; I doubt you could come up with a list of even 2-3 foods that would work all of the the dogs in America. Anyway, some of the well-regarded brands are Fromm, Dr. Tims, and Annamet. I'm sure there are others that are just as good, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Dog Food Advisor does have break downs of each food by content (protein, fat, carbs), by ingredient, and also gives an overall rating to each food.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Innova is a brand made by Natura Pet, owned by Proctor & Gamble. There are way too many other foods to choose from. Look at Dr a Tims, Annamaet, Fromm....made in Canada but great foods are Acana & Orijen. Made in Italy but a great food is Farmina.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Innova to me at one time was a great food then they had a lot of recalls a friend of mine had a sheltie and it died from the food innova had a huge lawsuit because of it but animals are considered property

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feed a USA made dog food-made in Texas and its a 5 star no grain called "Victor"

Since I have a large breed I feed the Victor performance Joint with added Glucosamine 800mg and Chondroitin 250mg-fortified with Sel-Plex
Very happy with it too-I have tried several of the high end 5 star dry foods and Skipper'D had GI issue with them and I found this Victor dry food at our local feed store that is priced pretty fair IMO at $32.00/40lb bag-he loves it and does well with it.

I also, give a supplement I get online called "PetImmune" by Palladius that IMO/E is a wonderful product especially if you have shedding issues....

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I feed a USA made dog food-made in Texas and its a 5 star no grain called "Victor"

Since I have a large breed I feed the Victor performance Joint with added Glucosamine 800mg and Chondroitin 250mg-fortified with Sel-Plex
Very happy with it too-I have tried several of the high end 5 star dry foods and Skipper'D had GI issue with them and I found this Victor dry food at our local feed store that is priced pretty fair IMO at $32.00/40lb bag-he loves it and does well with it.

I also, give a supplement I get online called "PetImmune" by Palladius that IMO/E is a wonderful product especially if you have shedding issues....
Victor is a good dog food but it is a little difficult to find in some areas. The only thing to watch is it is a little high in ash. I did like the fact that it had higher protein with out the added fat and I think the carbs were below 40% of the dry weight. I keep thinking that I'd like to buy it again but the closest place with a great price is 80 miles away. I do work close enough to the place but don't know if I want to feed Zoey a large bag of it due to the higher ash. But if you can find it by all means try it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts