Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a three year old Cocker Spaniel who has a large, movable lump on his left shoulder. It reminds me of the lipomas my 13 year old Aussie has been getting, but of course he's 10 years younger!

He's generally pretty healthy I think, aside from his pretty intense anxiety which he is medicated for (paroxetine and clonidine). He gets regular yearly exams and all that good stuff.

I'm going to run him into the vet (which he'll of course hate) as soon as his Thundercap arrives, which will be soon, as I know they can draw out of the lump and tell me what it is. I'm just wondering if it's common for younger dogs to get lipomas and/or if it's a sign of something bad, needs to be watched for, maybe he'll develop more, etc.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't know how common it is, but my 11 yr old dog has been lumpy for all of this adult life. I think he had small lumps and skin tags around 3 yrs. In his senior years he has over 10 lumps and tags - I don't count them all anymore. Pretty much anywhere you pet him you will feel something. Only his now biggest one is apparent though, as his double coat hides them well. He's been through a big surgery to get 6 of his biggest ones removed (ranging from lemon-sized to quarter sized). His biggest ones have all been aspirated and benign. I didn't have the removed ones biopsied but had the surgery done because one in particular was getting very large.

I assume it's genetic. He's just my lumpy dog :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This one isn't especially small - it's probably just slightly smaller/flatter than a golf ball. It also just kind of popped out of nowhere; I'm not sure if it's been there awhile and has grown or if it just appeared suddenly.

Either way, we're going to the vet tonight and having it looked at. I figured I'd rather know and be able to relax than fret about it all weekend long.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
The ones that suddenly come up and are large, are concerning! I hope it is nothing. Best of luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dog wasn't quite that young, but she's had one on her chest for probably 4-5 years now (she's 11ish) and it's never changed. It's not a bad idea to have it looked at (my vet checks it out at every appointment) but it happens.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Like Canyx, my 16yo dog had many fatty lipomas that caused no problems. But, I kept watch over them and my Vet tested each one over the years by simple needle aspiration.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I wouldn't have been as worried if he were older, but I've just never had a young dog with a lipoma before.

And apparently, I still don't. We went to the vet yesterday and she measured it and said it was pretty sizable. She said the lump was affixed to the muscle and they were going to aspirate it to see what happened. It ended up being a pretty substantial cyst. They drained all the fluid they could (there wasn't much fluid, but the walls of it were pretty thick). Eventually we'll probably have it removed as it's probably just going to keep filling up with fluid again.

They looked at a smear of the fluid under a microscope and said they didn't see anything that was cause for concern. They're going to send the whole thing off for a biopsy whenever we do have it removed, but they don't think it will be cancerous.

Good news. Now I can breathe deeply :)

Oh, and we didn't have the thundercap so we improvised with a bandana. And he was SO GOOD. Very proud of my crazy little guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts