Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Links, books, blogs etc for reactive / leash aggressive dogs and similar

41K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Diagat 
#1 · (Edited)
I was at a group dog walk this morning and one of the new adopters has a leash aggressive dog. So I offered to email her a bunch of the various links and books and everything that I've found to be useful for reactive or barrier aggressive dogs or fear aggressive. For the books, I've mostly read online portions of them, but enough to recommend them,

Since I've now typed them all up, I figured I'd share them here too and open it up to everyone's input for their favorite training sites or authors. I know for long time members here that many of these links are known or redundant, but putting them all together seemed helpful.

Reactive dog training and management websites, articles, videos and actual books

Behavioral Adjustment Training (BAT)- very good for fearful or aggressive dogs
Functional Rewards

Training and management tips for DINOS
Dogs in Need of Space

General dog walking and interaction blog
Notes from a Dog Walker

Article on calming signals
Calming Signals

Sketches of dog body language signs
Body Language with photos

Very good general dog training site with a number of articles and free downloads. Dr. Ian Dunbar is a scientific based trainer with a great reputation.
Dog Star Daily

Good book (yes, actual words on paper not a screen). May be available at the public library or interlibrary loan
Control Unleashed

Books and online articles (again, look for the books in the library to try them out) from a respected trainer; check out "The Other End of the Leash" and particularly "Fiesty Fido:Help for the Leash Reactive Dog"
Patricia McConnell's site

A few good books, particularly Dogs Are From Neptune and The Culture Clash
Jean Donaldson's books

Youtube.com and search "kikopup" for training videos. Working on impulse control and a strong sit and stay can help a lot with the dog-dog reactions.

Clicker training blog
Success Just Clicks

Edits:

I am copying various links that were suggested in the thread below here for convenience. I still encourage reading the whole discussion to get more details on each.

Scaredy Dog! Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog by Ali Brown
http://www.scaredydog.info/index.html

http://reactivechampion.blogspot.com/

Reactive Dog: Foundation Exercises for Your Leash-Reactive Dog

Reactive Dog: Moving Past Distractions on a Walk

Best Books For Treating Dog Reactivity[/QUOTE]

this video for a step by step on training "Look at That"

Care for Reactive Dogs

The Muzzle Up Project

See less See more
#10 ·
#12 · (Edited)
This was posted on Facebook: Care for Reactive Dogs

What is CARE?

CARE stands for Counterconditioning and Positive Reinforcement (R+) are Essential for reactive dogs

CARE condenses Counterconditioning, Desensitization and Differential Reinforcement of Incompatible behavior into a user-friendly, 3-phase protocol

CARE reminds us to use this most effective, widely accepted and humane protocol, as well as the components of that protocol

CARE is a declaration- I CARE for my reactive dog!

#24 ·
Cookieface mentioned this link and I checked it out, looks like some good information on using a muzzle. I have limited experience using a muzzle, I have introduced it to a dog and used it in a few training sessions but nothing more. However, I do think it can be a useful safety and management tool and that conditioning even a very friendly dog to a muzzle is useful. A dog that is injured or in pain is one that might lash out with teeth and if a dog is not stressed by a muzzle, it can make a vet exam safe for the vet and less stressful for the dog.

The Muzzle Up Project

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Gee, that is interesting in the sense of kind of scary-disturbing.

Corrections for reactive dogs are a very risky thing. When using physical punishment to correct a dog, the dog may easily associate the punishment with whatever he or she is reacting about. Which can lead to increased aggression. Basically, dog is stressed about something, dog gets a physical correction for vocalizing or acting out their stress, dog says "Whoa, that means this thing (whatever the thing they are reacting about) actually IS dangerous or bad. Better up the ante now."

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
Leash reactivity/ leash aggression in this context has nothing or little to do with squirrels. Prey drive is normal. The concern is reactivity/ barrier(or leash) aggression towards other dogs or towards humans. Negative punishment is the taking away of something desired, ex. is taking away a toy; which doesn't equate to a leash correction. A leash correction is positive punishment under operant conditioning terms

#28 ·
Bringing this thread back to life. Some good stuff here. I'm looking specifically for VIDEOS (free online) regarding counter-conditioning - even better if it's CC for territorial behavior. Suggestions? I've perused lots of kikopup's videos but I'm not really seeing anything that specific.

#31 ·
I haven't had much luck in finding videos for CC on territorial or similar behavior that I can suggest. I found one video that was solid for territorial behavior CC but once I watched other videos by the same trainer, I don't feel comfortable suggesting it because the other vids delved off into dominance theory training. I can try to find it again and link it with a big old caveat of "this video ONLY" kinda disclaimer. I did find a good CC video for general handling (like nail trims, vet exam) that demonstrates the concept of what counter conditioning IS, but the actual physical movements and steps wouldn't really apply well to territorial type behavior.

#29 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.