Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 separate questions:
1) We currently feed Hope Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient. We arent sure what caused/causing her seizures so id like to stick with something limited and slowly introduce...what is a cheaper option, if anything that is limited ingredient? We LOVE BB but not the price tag. We buy the 24lbs bag every 3 weeks.

2) What is a good small breed/small bites food? It doesnt have to be rated #1 but something ok for little dogs and affordable when i have to already buy 2 other foods.

·
Registered
278 Posts
From reading your other post, dog #5 is only 3 months. So, I would think you could pick a small breed puppy food to feed dog #5. Then, when dog #5 is closer to one year of age, you could transition him to the same food as one of your other dogs. (If he is 8 lbs now, I am thinking he will gain at least another pound or 2....my 10 lb dog can eat regular size kibble without a problem.) The main difference I have found between small breed & regular dog food is kibble size so as long as your dog is big enough to break the pieces, you are fine.

Also, have you looked into buying online? You are definitely using enough dog food to qualify for free shipping at most websites & could save $ vs buying it at the pet store.

Do you or a friend have a Costco membership? Kirkland Signature makes a couple foods you could look at.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From reading your other post, dog #5 is only 3 months. So, I would think you could pick a small breed puppy food to feed dog #5. Then, when dog #5 is closer to one year of age, you could transition him to the same food as one of your other dogs. (If he is 8 lbs now, I am thinking he will gain at least another pound or 2....my 10 lb dog can eat regular size kibble without a problem.) The main difference I have found between small breed & regular dog food is kibble size so as long as your dog is big enough to break the pieces, you are fine.

Also, have you looked into buying online? You are definitely using enough dog food to qualify for free shipping at most websites & could save $ vs buying it at the pet store.

Do you or a friend have a Costco membership? Kirkland Signature makes a couple foods you could look at.
That is an idea to transition later and likely the plan. Id rather not keep buying 3 foods, lol. I have not thought about buying online but might be cheaper, ill look! I dont have Costco, but i have considered them over Sams.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I always warn away from Kirklands pet food brands - for some families it works, for my family... well 2 cats ended up dead and a dog ended up in kidney failure... It would be accurate to say I have trust issues with the brand.

What sort of budget are you thinking? When people say they want cheap, I think of pet-store brands, such as Pet Valu's Performatrin, or Pet Smarts Simply Nourish limited ingredient. Neither of these brands are particularly stunning... Toby was fed Simply Nourish for a while and did well on it though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spend $20 on a 50lb bag for 3 dogs, $60 on 24lbs for 1 dog.... not counting the cats food or litter. ( another $30) so id like to stay under $50.. lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have access to: Petsmart, kroger, Meijer, Petco. Jacks Pet is a bit of a drive but is in the area. Same with Costco/Sams.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and just to say it, i know they need a good top quality food, i want that, i just would love a cheaper option! Maybe there isnt and thats ok but i dont want to stand in the food aisle confused!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Annamaet is great food and they have an option formula; you can get 20 lbs for about $42 on Chewy which is slightly over $2 per pound. I feed the Annamaet Extra and the kibble is small so I assume that this is small as well. Farmina which is another great food has a Cod formula that is about $54 for 26.4 lbs on Chewy which again is slightly over $2 per pound.

Both foods are considerably better in many people's opinion. Not sure what you are trying to avoid but these may be 2 options.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well see we dont know what caused Hopes seizures so I cant say " Avoid corn" or shes fine with grain. It may not have been the food but the vet said try exercise and food so we did. BB limited has no: corn, wheat, diary, soy or eggs. ( i know she can have eggs though and seems fine with diary). Which leaves corn, wheat and soy.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also im trying to look up some brands- is there a difference ( because im not seeing it?) between Limited Ingredient, Grain Free, and No Corn, Wheat Soy?

For example I looked at Merrick Grain free ingredients and couldnt find anything on the list with corn, wheat or soy....

ETA: i JUST remembered something!!
Many years ago before her seizures we had her on Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach. I wonder if she could have it now but their grain free version since we know she does well?
------
Also these are the brands based on lowest price i found. ALL 24lbs bags! included stars on dogfoodadv

Simply Nourish $50 (4.5 on DFA)
Pro Plan $51 (3)
Natures Recipe $52 (3.5)
AvoDerm, Hills, Nutro $53 (3.5/3/4.5)
Blue Buffalo Freedom $55 (3.5)
Natural Balance $57 (3)

and everything else was past what im paying now. Thoughts on these?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
A small breed puppy would be fine with a regular "all life stages" food.

Earthborn Holistic has a good selection of grain free foods where some have no chicken or eggs also so it narrows down the ingredient list.

Fromm would be another solid choice for reasonable prices, good reputation for the manufacturer and grain free or grain inclusive foods with simple ingredients.

In labeling, limited ingredient usually means a single animal protein source. Grain free is just that, it usually has white or sweet potatoes as the starch. No corn, wheat or soy is also just that, it can have any other grain or starch source, usually rice or barley or tapioca, and any animal protein source. The thing about limited ingredients is that even most lamb or fish etc foods have chicken fat or eggs in them so they might still react for an allergic dog.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Blue with a ten-foot pole so there are a ton of food I would suggest first over Blue.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If she did well on a food and the Vet believes that the food may be the culprit - it will be a guessing game and Purina may be worth trying IMO. Other than Pro Plan which a few people feed and have had good results, I can't say anything about the foods you listed.

Shell explained the differences in food and the possibility that limited may not be so limited. The other thing to be aware of is that it may take time to work through whatever using a single food, a week or so may be too short of a time frame but that's something to talk to the Vet about.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The limited is just for Hope, she has been on Blue for just over 3mo. Charlie needs the small food but its not limited or anything.

Ill look into Fromm. That list was just from petsmart, which is the primary store I go to. Fromm would be at Jacks Pets.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:

I waited and waited before switching.. I went today to look at a few brands and went with one from the Purina line. Not ideal BUT when i actually compared the brands I had, even "limited" and "grain free" had a TON of ingredients I couldnt pronounce or they had very few real things ( like chicken, peas, etc) and then a laundry list of "additives/vitamins". Im doing this one bag and we will see how Hope does. if she has a seizure, we will go back to Blue. ETA: We went with the Purina Beyond. Its No corn, wheat or soy...which are the things we dont know what that bother her.

As for Charlie, we just went with a small breed food and she hasnt had any issues. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts