Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One october day, I was on my way to meet a friend at a park. As I arrive, I see a girl with the most adorable furbaby ever! She said she was on her way to the pound to surrender her. She couldn't have been older than 16 and she said she was "too busy" to take care of her. >.< I couldn't believe my ears. After chatting about "Leyla"(her name at the time), I told her I'd gladly take the puppy off her hands, and just like that, She was mine! I can't believe someone could just give their puppy up like that! to a total stranger! I could've been a dog fighter or just let her be an "outdoor dog"(when i say that, I mean changed to a pole, covered in filth and an empty food bowl/ a ripped up bucket of water). Thank god I met her and that didn't happen. Luckily, i already had a whole bunch of dog stuff at home, since i was planning on adopting at our local shelter later that week.

Lilo P. had been "traded" around by four owners before I ran across her. Since that day at the park, she's my forever baby. But, none of those people never managed to pass along any breed info so I'm stuck wondering what in the world she is. The young girl guessed Papilion & long hair chihuahua mix.. but her ears are floppy. so she must be something else. The Vet guessed "mini aussie" but that's WAY off, Lilo's only 6 lbs and she's about the size of a standard yorkie.

She first had very curly fur behind her ears and every centimeter was a kinky wave, her fur's grown long and wavy since then. She has a fanned out tail and in curls in. Tri colored, she's got black on top, brown on the border, and white under and as a "collar". At dog parks, she "herds"(tries to anyway, since she's so little). She's definitely not a lap dog or an accessory because she's SO high-strung and always wants to run. She's trained not to dig outside (we rent) so she tries to hide anything and everything in blankets(she tries to "dig" in them)

These are pictures from the minute i got her to her now as she guard's my neice's chalkboard lol.

Any guesses are welcome. I'm planning on buying one of those DNA breed tests but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Absolutely too adorable! Thanks for taking her for yourself and not letting her go to the shelter ... though as cute as she is I bet she would have been adopted very quickly! :) The very first thing that came to mind was Sheltie/Poodle. :) Maybe even a Long Haired Chi/Poodle ........ just guessing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
By the ears I would say spaniel(probably cocker spaniel), activity level Jack Russell terrier(I see some terrier in the face) and coat and size I would go with long haired chihuahua?? I did the DNA test on my dog and after I got the results(she was nothing I thought she was) all of the sudden I could see all three breeds. If you get the DNA test, make sure you get the one with the biggest data base.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
my first though was Chi/Papillon lol, the drop ears dont really change that guess any for me, Pap's have drop ears too(Phalene..which is the original). she is adorable whatever she is..though I dont put any stock whatsoever into those DNA tests, I have seen too many impossable results lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking long hair chi and pap too.. I've seen long haired chi's that look identical to her(not tri colored but black & tan) and I definitely think she's got some pap in her in the face and when her ears DO stick up, they kind of fan out too. Spaniel huh? I never gave it any thought..

What should I look for when buying DNA breed tests?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
She looks a lot like what people are breeding as toy aussies. I think a lot of them have some chi or pap in them to get the small sizes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She looks a lot like what people are breeding as toy aussies. I think a lot of them have some chi or pap in them to get the small sizes.

That definitely explains the lack of desire to become a lap dog and odd herding attempts of every moving object lol

I've seen the "toy Aussie".. Which is probably what she is. Since byb are crossing paps, chi's, & poms for the size, it's probably what's to blame for all of my confusion

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'm thinking long hair chi and pap too.. I've seen long haired chi's that look identical to her(not tri colored but black & tan) and I definitely think she's got some pap in her in the face and when her ears DO stick up, they kind of fan out too. Spaniel huh? I never gave it any thought..
Papillons are spaniels. ;) And papillons do come with drop ears.

Yep that's my guess too. I've met many 'toy aussies' that look like a papillon with drop ears, odd markings, and a docked tail.

My guess would be either sheltie or mini aussie crossed with something along the lines of pap or chi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would agree with sheltie and maybe a poodle. In the first picture I was maybe thinking some cocker spaniel or any kind of spaniel but now I'm not so sure about that. But she does look like maybe a sheltie poodle.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My vote goes towards mini Aussie. Some mini Aussies are itty-bitty teeny-weeny little dogs. And the curly hair could have come from the other breeds bred in or the Aussie side bred in. My Aussie has a semi curly coat. I cant see sheltie/poodle because I would think she would be bigger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vote goes towards mini Aussie. Some mini Aussies are itty-bitty teeny-weeny little dogs. And the curly hair could have come from the other breeds bred in or the Aussie side bred in. My Aussie has a semi curly coat. I cant see sheltie/poodle because I would think she would be bigger.
My thoughts exactly!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The older she gets, the straighter her coat gets. It's pretty wavy right now but there's so much of it. If she IS pap, would I be ruining her coat if I took her in for a trim or should I just embrace it? Shedding & all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts