Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some crate/carrier research today and have some questions.

I was originally planning on getting a soft-sided carrier for my future pom for travel purposes, but I'm realizing in my research that a hard-sided crate would probably be safer if (heaven forbid) I ever got into a car accident or something.

My one concern however is weight. I'm fairly petite and not brilliant at lifting large, heavy, unwieldy objects. I'm assuming wire or plastic crates sized for a 5-7lb dog like a pom are fairly portable? I was leaning towards wire, looking mostly at the Midwest brand, but wasn't sure how unwieldy they are for a petite person as I've not seen them in person.

Also if I'm understanding this correctly, wire crates like the Midwest ones can double as both the home safe space crate and car crate, right?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I don't know but I would google it, maybe someone will be along to give more info , I have never had a problem with lifting heavy things, having worked with horses all of my working life lol.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You'd only need a cat-sized carrier. . .yes, they're portable. Maybe weigh 10 pounds (for wire. Plastic is lighter). Whichever one you like better.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Sounds like an airline style plastic crate is the way to go for the car travel. A small one would weigh about 5-6 lbs which means the dog+ crate is definitely under 20 lbs. Unless you have a medical issue, even a petite person should be able to lift 20 lbs into a vehicle and carry for a short distance.

Then you can use a larger, wire crate at home when the dog will be crated for longer periods.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We have a soft crate in the car (not one for carrying pets around in), and it's belted into the back seat, so at worst, Hamilton would go flying and hit the soft side and bounce. If you're using a crate just for car travel, weight probably isn't an issue since you don't need to carry the dog in it -- s/he can walk to and from the car.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I don't have a small dog, but I do have a 5.5lb rabbit who shares a carrier with a 4lb rabbit and the plastic carrier itself only weighs a couple pounds max. A medium sized plastic cat carrier would probably be big enough for a 5-7lb dog. I agree that you could get a larger wire carrier or pen for use at home.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a small 9 pound dog, and she has both a plastic carrier, and a larger wire carrier. The wire carrier is MUCH heavier than the plastic one. If you are travelling and need to carry it around, I would definitely get a plastic one. This is what I got Butters, and it's great! Has a compartment to pet her, and also one for her water and food bowl. It's a harder, durable plastic, make sure it's not easily opened when dropped - usually you need to screw the four corners shut before taking it on an airline - otherwise, you don't need to screw it in if you're just using it as a crate for home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, maybe I will get a separate carrier for car travel then. Or see if I can find one of the wire crates in person to see the size/weight. I actually already have two cat carriers (one hard plastic smaller one, and one soft airline-approved carrier that fits my 10lb cat). The soft one is definitely easier to manage but I wondered if a hard one would be safer.

For at-home, is it generally a good idea to get both a crate and an exercise pen? I work from home so he won't be left alone during the day, but I was wondering what was best for brief periods of confinement (like an hour or two to run errands)? Or what is best for nighttime for that matter?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hmm, maybe I will get a separate carrier for car travel then. Or see if I can find one of the wire crates in person to see the size/weight. I actually already have two cat carriers (one hard plastic smaller one, and one soft airline-approved carrier that fits my 10lb cat). The soft one is definitely easier to manage but I wondered if a hard one would be safer.

For at-home, is it generally a good idea to get both a crate and an exercise pen? I work from home so he won't be left alone during the day, but I was wondering what was best for brief periods of confinement (like an hour or two to run errands)? Or what is best for nighttime for that matter?
Hi,

For housebreaking purposes, and to make sure your dog doesn't get into trouble when you're away (until he's trained to be good in the house by himself), I would definitely recommend a small short term confinement crate, as well as an exercise pen. If you're away for more than 2-3 hours, put him in the exercise pen; if you're away for 2-3 hours or less, put him in the short term confinement crate, ONLY when he peed and pood before going in.

The reason I like the ex-pen is my dog in particular is a small breed, but high in energy. She needs to be able to romp around, otherwise she gets easily frustrated/pent up energy/hyper. If your dog is a snoozer and just likes to lounge around all day and not move, then a short term crate may be fine, but again, I'd rather give them taht option of roaming around a bit if you're away for more than a few hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts