Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to know more about pugs and I know there are a few owners on here. Please feel free to share what life is like with a pug. Photos welcome. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had Chester for four years, our "anniversary" was last month. He was three when I bought him from a woman on Craigslist. She said she didn't have time for him anymore. He was skinny and so wild! I had only ever known fat, lazy Pugs so I had no idea that I would end up with such a hyperactive dog.
I would like to say I'm his favorite thing in the world, but that wouldn't be totally correct. His favorite thing is food. He's incredibly intelligent and food-motivated. He was a star in his obedience class, as long as I didn't run out of treats.
Pugs do this funny thing where they barrel around the house, running in big loops around furniture and then abruptly, flop down for a rest. It's pretty cute.
I was blessed with a pug who doesn't have severe breathing issues like most. Probably because he doesn't seem to be close to breed standard at all. He's more lean than a show pug, but he has a handsome face, so I don't mind.
Summer is a stressful time in my home. I want to walk him and take him to the park, but if it's more than 75 degrees, we don't leave the house. Where I live, it's extremely humid. It's only tolerable before the sun rises. If we aren't having a heat wave, I'll take him to petco and walk around in there. But I get really anxious if he starts overheating during the time it takes the car to cool down as we leave the pet store. I know of three people who have lost their pugs to heat stroke, so I'm super careful about it.
One thing that really frustrates me is seeing people walking Pugs (or any dog, really) without a harness. Especially in the summer, when it's hard enough for them to breathe as it is. He has a regular harness and a Gentle Leader, but I use the regular one more often.
I also have a 14 year old Chihuahua whom Chester adores. When we take them to daycare, the employees will say Chester always looked out for Chiquita and made sure she was coming, when they would move them to their kennel from the play room.
He's crazy about kids. He gets so excited when he sees any and goes in for mouth kisses. Most kids don't appreciate his enthusiastic affection. He's pretty well behaved around adults, but he can't seem to control himself around new kids.
He really is the light of my life!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was on a waitlist for a pug rescue for a while. I chose Pugs because I thought they were pretty low key (aka lazy, and I mean that nicely!) and I'm not much of a runner or jogger so I needed a dog that was cool with 2/3 walks a day. I got the call for Chloe December of 2007, she was dumped on the side of the road in another state with her littermates and mom. So sad! Anyways, the rescue set up a transport and I got her in the middle of a terrible snowstorm in New England. You have no idea how many times I have had to explain that NO she was not an xmas gift!

Anyways, she was a great puppy. Easily trained, unlike what most people hear about pugs. Even during one of the worst winters here, she went out every 1/2 hour in the freezing cold, snow, ice, you name it, and did her business. She was potty trained in no time. I took her to puppy classes at 18 weeks old (got her at they guess 14 weeks). She was the best in the class, she could "crawl" before any other pup there! We took her to an advanced class too and she did great.

In the past 4 years of her being in my life, she has cost me almost $10 grand in vet bills. She came with many health issues that some still haven't been figured out, but are being managed.

Wr do struggle with her weight, but only because other family members spoil her and think they can feed her anything but we're working on it!

I am lucky enough to live in a town with 5 beaches so she gets to go weekly. She is NOT lazy! She will run & run for hours. She prefers the company of bigger dogs, her bestie at the beach is a Saint Bernard and they get along great. She can be very low key when she wants to, and probably could sleep 23 hours a day! She is a total cuddle bug and needs to be touching someone at all times. She is more human than dog, even though she goes out to potty, gets many walks and doesn't get people food. She sheds a ton but it isn't a biggie. I am a clean freak so I vacuum every other day anyways. I carry lint brushes everywhere I go :)

She is the best dog ever, we just love her to death! She is totally goofy, and keeps us laughing.

On the boat with Gramps:

At the lake house

Pooped!

Running at the beach

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for posting. :) You both have beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
And thank you both for posting and picturing; both gorgeous dogs.

I will admit that I had gotten a negative impression of pugs from the one I knew. The dog seemed a bit neurotic and the owner much more so. It was an elderly pug and just did not look well-bred or properly socialized. Spindly and drooly and seemed to hate everything in its path, human or canine.

So, I was a bit put off. But the pictures above are making me rethink pugs. Seriously adorable ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, it's true that pugs are notorious beggars and are SO prone to being overweight (they are stocky to begin with!). However, it isn't unlike ANY other dog, it has to do with the owners, how they are treated and trained.

Even the "trainer" at puppy class said to me "I thought pugs were dumb".... and Chloe could out-trick all the other dogs! I put in the time and effort to teach her. She is very spoiled, but she is also expected to potty outside and be respectful (no jumping, etc). Yes, she wears a coat in the winter and a tshirt when it rains. She is very low to the ground and this prevents her from getting filthy and saves me time & money in grooming! It has nothing to do with dressing her like a human... it literally saves my carpets and a lot of time if I heppen to be late for work :)

She does have a ton of health issues, she was poorly bred, but I have nothing to do with that. I am lucky enough to have the means to give her a wonderful home and get her the best vet care in my state.

I hope that some stereotypes can be broken here - any dog can be fat, yappy and or lazy.... Every pug I have met at our beaches or at the pug meet up have been wonderful, goofy, loving, smart and playful animals.

her buddy Kobe:

One last pic.... just cause I think she is so cute :) Have a wonderful weekend everyone

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry to barge in... those are all cute pictures! My thesis advisor just bought a new pug... I never cared much for the breed, but I've been warming up to them. They're kind of cute :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
So cute and cuddly! When I went to the SPCA looking for a dog the first one that caught me eye and enticed me was a pug. I was so excited because I would have loved to have one. Unfortunately for me he was already spoken for, but then I found Bosley! So all was well :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts