Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one, like certain brands? I'm having problems getting one that fits Smudge.

Cider has an old outward hound one, from 3-4 years ago when they were stiff, only came in orange and they were like the only maker of dog life jackets. It fits her quite well though.. and while not a swimming fan it has taught her to swim properly. She used to kick front leg straight up in the air.. and now she actually swims correctly and doesn't act like she is drowning when out of the jacket.

Smudge is smaller, not just in height but in girth. His penis is covered if he has to wear Cider's, but I make him in the boat as you never know what might happen. We go fishing a good deal and at times he wants to chase the bait out of the boat..

I never take both dogs out on the boat at once.. So I didn't really want 2.. but they have come a long way in making them better, and hers just doesn't fit him. In an emergency it would work.. but I'd rather have one for each of them as neither is too yay water..

I wanted a fido float as I like the zipper up the back. The old style ones don't fit him. He's too big around for a small, but a medium might fit a toller.. Found out they now make the fido float xtreme. So I ordered 2 into a local store and went yesterday to try them on. The small zips up, but there is so much extra room I can put an entire arm under the jacket up his back, and more than 2 fists fit at his waist.

It's $50 CAD for the fido float xtreme. They suggested I just simply have it altered.. Lot to spend on a jacket I then have to have fixed..

I bought the new style outward hound one a few weeks ago, but the weather in ontario has been atrocious since. Unseasonably cold. We have a pool, but I have no desire to get in it's been that chilly. So it does fit him better, but I haven't tested it in the water yet...

Anyone have and use one and like it? I think Smudge's body type is part of the limiting factor here. He has a decent chest, but his waist is super duper thin. He's a good weight, looks awesome for an agility dog, but I'm starting to think they make products for people's fat pets... The chest of the fido float extreme was perfect pretty much. the waist though was horribly huge and no way to just tighten it. The waist on Cider's is part of the issue too. The coat is on the water, but his body is so far below the water with the extra room that he panics and doesn't feel safe...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, thank you. What's the fun in having a groomable breed if you don't play with it ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I work in a boat dealership and we sell RuffWear life jackets. My dog has one and it fits her better than the Outward Hound one that someone gave us. RuffWear are more expensive, but the construction of them is so much better than the ones you find at PetSmart, etc.

A rep from one of our marine distibutors just brought in a dog life vest from Paws Aboard - they look cute and looks to be well-made, but we are sticking with RuffWear - they are just built tough.

I know what you mean about boy dogs - you have to be aware of what is covered underneath. If I have someone come in and want a dog vest I recommend they bring their dog in and I fit them like I would properly fit a human in a ski vest. There is no point in guessing - bring them with you and try on the vests and make sure it fits right and they are comfortable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Willie has a Ruff Wear life jacket, and it works quite well. It was a bit stiff at first, and he had trouble sitting or lying down in it, but it has softened up a bit and he can move around in it quite comfortably now.

The handle makes getting him back on board quick and easy if he falls or jumps off the boat. It's also great for moving him quickly if he gets in someone's way on the boat, and that can be important in some boating situations.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We went out yesterday and tried the new outward hound one. I'm not sure I like it. I will start looking around for ruffwear retailers and look into paws aboard too. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts