Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean house-wise or training-wise, anything that makes living with your dog easier.

I taught Bones 'out' -when she's underfoot in the kitchen, she'll swing her bum around and back up so she sits on the edge of the carpet. She can still watch me and I her, but she's not in my way and won't get burned.

There's not much in my house, because my house is a tiny apartment.

Any tips to share?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Hang a wall coat hanger by the door where you can keep all the collars, leashes and clothes.

Keep a poop bag dispenser by the front door so you can pull a bag out when you're leaving.

Hmmm not sure what other hacks I have aha.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hang a wall coat hanger by the door where you can keep all the collars, leashes and clothes.

Keep a poop bag dispenser by the front door so you can pull a bag out when you're leaving.

Hmmm not sure what other hacks I have aha.
My friends and I call those "leash hangers" lol

I taught my roommate's dogs "back off" because she insists on giving them food from her plate and I HATE begging dogs so that one was a necessity. Now when I tell them to back off they to back to her lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep frozen stuffed kongs/femur bones on hand to give when you're gone at work/school :) Keeps them entertained and out of trouble! haha I stuff mine with canned dog food, yogurt, kibble, peanut butter, treats, anything I have that won't kill them or give them the runs lolol

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For me the biggest tip would be management isn't a dirty sin. You don't have to try and train everything to be perfect. Your dog gets in the trash? Okay make the trash inaccessible and be done with it. If your dog has self rewarded getting into the trash enough it can be hard to damn near impossible to train them not to get into the trash. Make the trash inaccessible and poof, you're done. Don't over complicate it. Jubel got into things in the kitchen, I gated off the kitchen and have no more problem. Simple solutions aren't bad solutions.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Let's see... Non-training related I suppose.

*keep a mini lint roller in the purse
*keep a doggie travel bag packed at all times (this really only if you travel a lot - think diaper bag for dogs. food, basic meds (asipirin, benadryl, ointment), extra collar/leash, brushes, wipes... whatever.
*freeze any leftover meat broth as treats (or really freeze anything you don't mind your dog eating rather than let it go bad or throwing it out)
*keep a towel in the car for those moments when they immerse themselves in a mud puddle right before they get in
*get used to scratches, bruises, torn or dirty clothing, hair on the furniture (pledge fabric sweeper is AWESOME), marked up hardwoods, and giving any and all toys 9 lives before you throw them away

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
*If you have a wire crate and plastic pan and want to make more comfortable, but like the structure/size of the pan. Get a comforter (cheap garage sale one, or thrift store) and fold and wrap it around the pan. This makes a soft bedding and softens the sound from the noisy pan inside of the crate, but keeps the size and shape of the pan.
*Picking up area rugs when puppy-proofing your house saves a lot of trouble if you can do so. Helps solidify potty training without needing to borrow someone's steam cleaner every day.
*Buy a steam cleaner
*Keep a lint roller in convenient areas. Costco sells them in bulk. I have one at the door leaving the house, one in my car, and one at my office at work.

Edit to Add: If you have a highly food-motivated dog that barks their head off whenever delivery people arrive... Withhold food until the delivery vehicle arrives, just before they knock/ring the bell dump their portion on the floor/in their bowl. They might still give off one alarm bark, or a couple chuffs while eating, but 85% silent. This also works for me when people come over. I pour a little food on the floor and in her bowl and she leaves guests alone while they enter and only barks once.

That's all I can think of...

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Photograph or upload your dog's most recent rabies and, if applicable, municipal license paperwork into your phone for emergencies

Vinegar and baking soda will clean almost anything. Baking soda is great for scrubbing off that spit slime which quickly builds up on dog water bowls, better than a dishwasher even.

Fleece throws from the dollar store make great bedding and furniture covers for less than the cost of fleece by the yard at a fabric store. $3-4 per throw and unlike towels, they don't shred into long dangerous strings if a dog chews them

Always carry a few gallons of water in your car trunk if you take the dog places by car. Not just good for drinking but for washing off nasty stuff or cleaning cuts etc. A deli container makes a servicable semi-disposable bowl.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Keep a dog emergency kit with supplies and meds you might need like Benadryl, Hydrogen Peroxide. Vet wrap, gauze, eye wash, etc. You can look up a list on the Internet. Akways have the number fir your Vet, closest ER Vet and Poison Control.
I keep a jar of dog treats on the counter. All my dogs know "cookie".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts