Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding my 17lb dog Natural Balance LID small breed food for the last few months, and she's doing great on it. Her fur is so shiny it looks almost fake, and her stool is fine. She's a picky eater, so I went this way in an attempt to find a kibble flavor she likes, and it worked!

Is there any reason that it's bad to feed limited ingredient if it's not needed? She's always been grain free, but aside from that she has no allergies or sensitivities that I have found. She gets canned grocery store wet food as a topper (just a teaspoon or two), or she gets meat scraps from whatever I have for dinner once or twice a week. On lucky weekends I scramble an egg for her breakfast. She has no interest in any veggie I've tried to feed her, raw or cooked, aside from potatoes.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It's fine. It's great in fact. If she develops an allergy to the current LI then you can easily switch to one with a differing protein. If one feeds a food with half a dozen protein sources then finding a LI that works would be more difficult.

Main issue is what happens if the company switches formula on you without warning. This has happened before and likely will happen again. Many people have dogs that thrive on one particular kibble and it is a big problem if the formula is changed. Best precaution is to mix old with new same as you would switch brand/flavor of food every time you open a new bag of food. If it's the same no problem. If it is a bit different you have it covered.

My big dogs didn't much care for veggies. First big dog would eat tomato pico de gallo but not plain tomato and they would chew on large broccoli or carrots but littles? So far Bucky doesn't actually eat the whole banana peel and neither likes celery leaves but that's it as far as we know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's a good point about the protein and switching. I don't imagine she'll be on this particular brand/flavor forever, since she's so damn picky, but I'd like to stick with it until she stops liking it.

I have noticed some color variation from bag to bag, which seems a little odd. I've had no digestion issues from the pup though, so I'm not complaining.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts