Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new dog (1 year old rescue hound/beagle cross) wants to lick me constantly. When he is being patted and I tell her "No", then she'll sit and lick her lips the whole time.
Is this normal and will it go away? I don't want him licking everyone, especially guests who might not appreciate it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
How long have you had him/her? [Don't worry about problems with English.]

Some dogs will lick 'submissively' to tell you that they are not a threat, b/c they are not yet confident/comfortable. I think that your dog will lick less as she gets more comfortable in a month or two.

When she licks her lips that may be a calming signal, indicating a bit of concern that you were angry with her when you said No.

Also, not sure if I'm nitpicking, if you "pat" her, moving your hand up and down on top of her, most dogs don't like that. However, if you are 'petting' her, by stroking her with a continuous motion, then that should be OK. Normally, I wouldn't make the distinction, but it's important in this case, b/c she will lick her lips (or you) to indicate that she does not want patting... she wants petting. If this is the case, then you'll see a difference when you do what she likes.

If you are petting and stroking your dog, then when he licks you, keep petting, but try to move you hand so he can't lick it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 13 year old beagle, who all his life has liked to lick us, couch pillows, the carpet, the floor, anywhere. For all I know licking may be a beagle thing. We have not tried to stop his licking, but it seems extinction of the behavior is the best bet. Just leave him if he attempts to lick you. Treat him every time he is near and not licking you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mouse my deaf/nearly blind dachshund licks constantly... drives everyone nuts, and I have yet to solve the issue (though she's pretty much stopped with me... well compared to the way she was anyway LOL)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch licks us a lot. He also licks our blankets, bed, couch, the ground, etc. I started to pull my body part that he was licking away when I don't want him to and pet him after I did, and he now he dosn't lick as much. He does lick people that he meets, but I don't mind because I am usually around dog people or horse people and they don't seem to mind. Also, he will only do it to other people if they bend down to talk to him and pet him.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Josefina licks the floor sometimes & her bed, i hate the sound so i tell her to knock it off LOL LOL. Izze used to lick me all the time & at the time i hated it but now i miss it :(, i never got mad at her for it tho because with her it was just an affection thing, she only did it with me. i just removed my body part she was licking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for getting the gender mixed up in the first post. My horse is a she and my dog is a he, and I just got them mixed up because I'm used to talking about the horse!

I'm hoping that this takes care of itself in time. For now, I will keep removing the body part, as I don't appreciate having dog spit on my hands and arms.

Cinder

1 - 9 of 9 Posts