Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Hoping you can give me some advice.

We have a Cavoodle boy, he is almost 3.5 years old. About 3 months ago we got a second cavoodle boy who is now 5 months old. The 3.5 yr old is desexed and we will also do this for the puppy once he is a bit older.

They two boys are getting along perfectly. From day 1 there have been no issues or problems between the two.

They always did some play licking (on the face not private parts) and play biting on each other, especially the little one 'attacking' the big boy.

Since about 2-3 weeks ago the licking has increased dramatically. It is the 3.5 yr old licking the little ones face non stop. He licks around his eyes then inside his mouth and nose and everywhere around. Sometimes for 30minutes straight and just does not stop. It gets to the point where the little one has a completely wet face.

If we tell them to stop, they do and as soon as we turn away, they are at it again. sometimes I see the little one on his back and the big one on top licking inside his mouth, like his whole head is in there!! It is just bizarre!

We put it down to the little one teething at the moment so maybe there is some blood or something around the mouth??

Anyone experience this? Should I be concerned or do anything? My most concern is the fact that they can do this for hours at a time =/

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
My in-laws had a young lab that would suck on their older lab's ears until the were sloppy wet. They both didn't seem to mind..so they let it go. It's strange, sure, but I don't think its a problem if both dogs enjoy it, haha. They're grooming each other.

If it bothers you, perhaps separate them. Give them a chew instead.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Has the puppy been thoroughly checked out by a vet? Teeth included? My little dog is SUPER persistent about licking any sort of wound, rash, cut, etc. A long shot but maybe take a good look in the mouth. He also is a big eye licker (including humans!) and I always tell him thank you but no thank you, haha .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts