Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jojo went to the vet today and the vet believes he has a lick granuloma.
He scraped his skin 1st to check if he had mange and he didn't.
He then prescribed him pills (Cefpodoxime simplicef) for 14 days, 1/2 a pill a day.
He also gave him a cream (Animax ointment) for twice a day.
And Jojo has to constantly have a cone on or to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't lick.
I was a reading online that it's very hard to get rid of these as it's hard for them to heal and because it's a "habit" for the dog lick.
The vet said to give it 3 weeks if not come back in and they can surgically remove it because where it is it's a good that theres extra skin to close it up (top back leg) I'm hoping surgery won't be needed but at the same time it's hard to believe that it'll just get better on it's own.
Any one ever had a dog with one of these?
Any thoughts?
Also Jojo's fur near his top neck and where his shoulder blades are and it's a bit dry and almost like course. The vet said most likely just the collar. He said it's not infected or irritated so he didn't give me anything. I'm wondering if I should try a collar change..?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I've had 2 dogs that developed them in my house and a dog that came with them. First dog clearly had allergy to grass. When I rubbed Benadryl cream into the bare spot it turned from red to normal white skin and healed up. Had a light bulb moment and from then on if his skin was pink I gave him a pill and it calmed down the inflammation so he never developed another lick granuloma. Next dog had flea allergy. Late in life she would bite at her flank and get awful ones. Just keeping up on the flea drops didn't work well enough so she went on as low a dose of TemerilP as possible. Third dog also has flea allergy but keeping up on her flea medication is working so far.

In my limited experience it hasn't been a habit, it has been irritation. Treat the irritation/itchiness and the dog stops licking.

As for fur on the neck is it his 'angel wings'? That's really a mantle that's part of the fur pattern of most dogs. Bucky came here two years ago with straw like long coarse hair in the area that is very slowly getting softer and shorter. Lack of grooming, probably being kept outside and a low fat diet probably contributed as now he gets groomed once a week, is kept inside and is fed a high fat raw diet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt that it's allergies but I'm not too sure. If it were fleas I'm sure the vet would have found because he did search his fur.
Early this morning I found he still able to lick himself I did a quick search and it's because his nose comes out of the cone which apparently why he can lick himself. So today I will be purchasing a bigger size.
I think it can be his "angel wings" but I think it's just his collar. The vet recommended a leather collar. But he asked if Jojo was itching the spot and I said no. And we go home and I see Jojo itch that spot. Hopefully that doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't have any help to offer, but I'm curious - can dogs get these sores on any part of their body? I'd never heard of a lick granuloma before I saw this thread so I googled it and the pictures that came up look a lot like a sore I found on Pepper two days ago. Hers in on her inner thigh right at the top in the fold where the leg meets the main body. I've been treating it with a general wound spray to see if it goes away on its own

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
They can get them anywhere the frequently lick or chew. Does she suck or lick her flank? I's a common OCD problem in Dobermans.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
They can get them anywhere the frequently lick or chew. Does she suck or lick her flank? I's a common OCD problem in Dobermans.
She had a huge rash (we suspect food related) on her whole belly/private area a few months ago and since then has definitely been licking more, even though the initial rash is gone. Thanks for the information. I'll have to keep a closer eye on her.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jen2010: Jojo had also started as a red spot, I didn't think anything of it until I had realized it had got much larger. I tried applying anti microbial/fungal cream from PetSmart since I already had it on hand but it did nothing. Also because the cone was a wrong size he was still able to lick himself (wasn't aware)

I find it interesting that the vet recommended surgery and everything I've been reading is to just deal with it and/or laser. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have Jojo have surgery and get a 2nd opinion in 3 weeks. Have also read about antibiotics doing good long term and the vet spoke nothing of this sort. Maybe he'll give more options in 3 weeks. I didn't ask but I wasn't aware of what he had and didn't do research before hand to ask all these questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts