Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new shiba inu puppy and my boyfriend and I were looking into getting him licensed. Does anyone from the US know about how you go about getting a dog license?This is our first dog (on our own). And yes we are preparing for the challenges of a shiba inu ;)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You go to your local department of health. In my town they have a division for animal control and that's where you get the dog license.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Yes go down to your local animal shelter, or animal control (the Public one run by the city or County you are in) they will be happy to register your dog and collect your liscencing fee-- your pup is usu eligible once its had (and you can show proof of) rabies shot...BTW unaltered dogs are a much more expensive fee.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Dog licenses vary across the country, not just state to state but within counties as well. You'll have to check with your local government office. For example where I live it's just $10 a year for the license and you have to give proof of up to date rabies vacination. I know other areas offer a life time licensing fee. Some vary basic on if your dog is spuetered, intact costs more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When did you guys get your dogs licensed? How old were they, I mean? My Mochi is 12 weeks old now, should I wait til after he is neutered? o_O

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
When did you guys get your dogs licensed? How old were they, I mean? My Mochi is 12 weeks old now, should I wait til after he is neutered? o_O
Here you don't license dogs until they are 4 months and have had their first rabies vaccination. So, that's when we do it. It's pretty well determined by law, in my area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
in my county we get dog license either at the county auditor's office or at the county dog pound. oh in my county dogs have to be at least 3 months before they can get a license.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Oh, I forgot that part of it. Our vet actually gives the license as part of the rabies shot - Ie you get the rabies, license, all in one go. One of our dogs came with a 3 years rabies vaccination (and certificate) but needed a license in our county, so we still just dropped by the vet's office to get it. REALLY handy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
we don't have to give any proof of vaccinations or rabies shots in my county. We just go to the appropriate and location and as long as the dog is at least 3 months they'll get a license. License in my county costs $8 for a year

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Oh, I forgot that part of it. Our vet actually gives the license as part of the rabies shot - Ie you get the rabies, license, all in one go. One of our dogs came with a 3 years rabies vaccination (and certificate) but needed a license in our county, so we still just dropped by the vet's office to get it. REALLY handy.
Here there's no official "licensing" but we just have rabies tags that prove your dog is UTD on rabies that you get at the same time as the vaccine as well. So basically the cost is whatever you pay for the vaccine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
we don't have to give any proof of vaccinations or rabies shots in my county. We just go to the appropriate and location and as long as the dog is at least 3 months they'll get a license. License in my county costs $8 for a year
I believe you.

However, rabies is spreading through the feral animal populations (skunk, bat and raccoon) of Michigan, West Virginia, and Kentucky. Ohio isn't immune. So, given that Ohio also allows owners to vaccinate their own dogs for rabies, if your county authorities have no way to assure rabies vaccination, that's a good reason for me to not move to Ohio.

BTW http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusohst955.htm

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Here we can get the license online through the city. You have to send in proof of rabies vaccination and you can register any microchip with the city as well.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
depends entirly on location. not everywhere even has licencing. here its all ages licenced but puppies fall under the spayed/neutered price which is 25/year, intact dog licence is 100/year, service dog licence is free. licences have zero connection with vaccines here. location again depends here you can get your licence at city hall, any vets office and the shelter.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
You can look up your citys web site and it should tell you. Also you can call a local vet and they can give you the information you need. Where I live we do not have to license our pets.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Here we go to the County Municipality building, personally I don't recall whether they ever asked for proof of rabies??? Although they did ask for proof of Spay/neuter... It's a one time $50 dollar fee (Lifetime License) for any dog that is either micro-chipped or tattooed...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe you.

However, rabies is spreading through the feral animal populations (skunk, bat and raccoon) of Michigan, West Virginia, and Kentucky. Ohio isn't immune. So, given that Ohio also allows owners to vaccinate their own dogs for rabies, if your county authorities have no way to assure rabies vaccination, that's a good reason for me to not move to Ohio.

BTW http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusohst955.htm
Well fortunately every dog i've owned has always gotten a rabies shot and has been UTD on vaccinations. I always thoughts rabies shots were required in the state of Ohio???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts