Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honsetly was beginning to think that we would never be able to do this with Libby, but after a TON of training, reading every book and website we could get a hold of, doing a ton MORE training, and finally deciding to try an e-collar, Libby is finally reliable offleash!

We took her to the city's experimental farm, which is partly for research, but also available to the public, and let her go. This was the first time we have taken her to the farm, but we have practiced offleash in many different locations leading up to this.

She did wonderfully! Perfect recall. She was distracted once by a VERY exciting groundhog hole, but with a mild correction she came right back. She did great around the kids, dogs, bikes, and even a guy flying a model plane - she did not approach anyone unless we gave permission.

What a great feeling! She loves the freedom. I am so glad we are able to give it to her now!

We're not condoning the use of the e-collar, per se. She was our first dog, and I would certainly do things differently if I could do things over again. I'm just ecstatic that we have finally figured it out!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Oh wow! Congrats on the progress! It's an amazing feeling isn't it? Being able to trust your dog, and let your dog have fun... : )

Great pictures, I'm sure Libby had a blast! : P

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of e-collars, but considering the look of pure joy on your dog's face in those pics; if that was the only way to allow this than I'm sure it was well worth it!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What fun! Yes! It's a great feeling to watch them run! She does look VERY happy! Pretty girl!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies!

I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of e-collars, but considering the look of pure joy on your dog's face in those pics; if that was the only way to allow this than I'm sure it was well worth it!!
Honestly, I am not either. It was a last-resort type of thing. We did a LOT of research before we decided to give it a go. Our e-collar has 127 levels of stimulation... we use it on level 20. It's WAY less than a 9v battery on your tongue... I can't even feel the shock under level 15. The collar also has a vibrate function, and using the vibrate is much more distressing to Libby than using the level 20 shock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts