Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had our first hunting training day today with our local pointing dog club. As our first hunting practice since October, it was a very controlled environment; the birds were planted in obvious locations and the dogs were on check cords to prevent mishaps.

Here she is, all ready to hunt!

Here's a video of Libby pointing a bird, and I have to say she did it with style! She solidly points for over a minute, and shows no sign of stopping! The video starts off distant, but I move closer once she points.

After we did some pointing work, we wandered around on the farm a bit. Libby met some ponies for the first time. She wasn't too sure what to make of them, but she wasn't bothered with them after a few minutes:

And she also met a relative! Libby's grandfather and the pup sniffing her butt's father are the same dog.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding, eh? We are actually going to try to get our FDJ this season. Libby will have no problem, as long as we get her recall to be a bit more reliable in the field :)

Do you plan on doing any trials?

·
Registered
164 Posts
No kidding, eh? We are actually going to try to get our FDJ this season. Libby will have no problem, as long as we get her recall to be a bit more reliable in the field :)

Do you plan on doing any trials?
Where I live, there are currently only trials for springers and cockers. While we cannot compete, the springer club is letting us use their facilities for training during the off season, so that is great!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I love seeing dogs doing what they are bred to do. I am not into any type of hunting because I feel bad for the other animals but I do appreciate a dog that is good at what it is supposed to be doing. Good Job Libby.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Inga. Rest assured, no pigeons were harmed to make this film!

Where I live, there are currently only trials for springers and cockers. While we cannot compete, the springer club is letting us use their facilities for training during the off season, so that is great!
Oh, that is too bad. I didn't realize there were no pointing clubs in NS. Nice to see that the other clubs are letting you use the space, though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts