Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i have a mix lhachon named atchi.. almost 6months old today. she never had any ear problems, but yesterday i brought her to the groomer, and they told me if i wanted to have her ear hair trimmed. i heard about how painful ear plucking could be, but that it was necessary to have the hair in her ears trimmed, so i said that they can cut it. i watched how it was done, they just used a scissors to trim the hair that came out of her ears.
that was yesterday, today, i noticed her shaking her haid and she was also scratching her head/ears. im not sure whats bothering her, i also had a band put on top of her head for her top hair. so could it be the band, or is her hair thats still inside her ears bothering her, and making her all itchy?

i also didnt want to pluck her hair, because, she might never want to go to the groomers again, this is her second time to the groomers, first she only had a simple puppy cut, and this second time i wanted her hair cut shorter, because of the really hot weather here in manila, philippines.

thanks everybody!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that she could be shaking her head because of a few of things. It can be the head band or the trimming in her ears. Don't worry though, she might just not understand the new feeling of it yet. It's like the feeling of having your hair cut or shaving something. Stop her from scratching her ears with her feet though since the groomer proably cut her nails and they can be sharp, and may scratch her skin.

Ear plucking isn't supposed to be painful. If it was painful groomers would not do that to the dog and instead cut or shave the hair in there. The right way to do it is very little bits of hair at a time, not all at once. When I pluck dogs ears they don't seem to mind too much but some don't like it done because it's a different feel than what they are used to feeling in there. If a dog has redness in there or an ear infection it shouldn't get plucked, instead a vet would treat it.

Please don't feel like she wont want to go to the groomers again!!! It's something she will have to get used to anyways! You can help her get used to the groomers by touching her ears and even plucking a little bit of hair from inside her ears yourself with your fingers. Other things you can get her used to while she's young is accepting her face being held while being combed, and touching her feet. Dogs seem to be sensitive about their heads, face and feet so if you get her used to being touched positivity in those areas her grooming experience will be a positive one.

Your groomer will know a lot about dogs so ask her a lot of questions. She will tell you what you can do to make the grooming experience a good one and will tell you what kind of things you need to do at home with your puppy so she can enjoy grooming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i should have read more on this from the grooming forum, before i went to the groomers. i just learned about the plucking, and how necessary it is. Ill look at how shes doing when i get home. i hope it really is just because she isnt used to either her hair band or that her ear hair was cut short.

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts