Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes!

My Lhasa Apso, Lily passed away one month ago unexpectedly. SHe was very dear to my fiance and I and will be missed. She was my first dog as an adult. We got her from a fabulous breeder up-state who I kept in touch with the entire time we had her. Now we live and South Florida and are looking for another Lhasa Apso. However, this is proving to be very difficult. I don't want to support a puppy mill so purchasing in a store (which has Lhasas) is out of the question. And no online because I would not want any dog to suffer being shipped to me. So locally, I have not found any reputable Lhasa Apso breeders. We have decided to open up our options to shih tzus and havaneses. However, I am not familiar with having either. Can anyone provide some input on these other two breeds? I have been looking in the rescues for a younger dog in one of these breeds but haven't found one yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm sorry about the loss of your Lily.

I don't know about the other two breeds, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you find a Lhasa Apso to rescue. I love my Lhasa-mix boy. They are great dogs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Lily dog :( ((HUGS))

My dog is a Shih tzu mix and I have a few friends with purebred Shih tzus. All of them have wonderful personalities, and the purebreds I know are defnitely lower energy than my mix (Lucy is mixed with Bichon Frise and she is definitely a higher energy dog). All the ones I know are great with kids and have very gentle, happy dispositions. Their coats defnitely take some care and need grooming, but since you had a Llasa I think you are probably used to that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a purebred 1 yr old shih tzu and he's a wonderful companion - loves to play but also loves to snuggle up on the couch with me. My brother has a 3 yr old shih tzu-lhasa apso cross and she is also a wonderful little dog who is much the same temperment as my pooch. Good luck on finding a new companion!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think having had a Lhasa, any one of those breeds you would enjoy. So sorry about your Lily. I had a Lhasa boy before my Maltese. The Havanese is from the same family as the Maltese but comes in multiple colors instead of only white. My daughter had a Shi-tzu and it was a very nice dog too. I know a Maltese breeder in Pensacola (Florida). Personally after having had a Lhasa and knowing my daughter's Shitzu, I prefer the Maltese. Don't know enough about the Havanese. But being from the same family, it must be a great dog too. Grooming is the same for all those 4 breeds. The only difference is that the Maltese has hair and thus No doggy smell. Again, don't know about the Havanese.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Road trip up north to the same breeder you got your last Lhasa from? I think some driving and maybe a hotel stay is a small price to pay for a dog you'll have for 15 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Road trip up north to the same breeder you got your last Lhasa from? I think some driving and maybe a hotel stay is a small price to pay for a dog you'll have for 15 years.
That idea definantly crossed my mind. However, she no longer breeds Lhasas. She has retired due to illness =( SHe was such a sweet lady. I will continue to scout the shelters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts