Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

My first question on this very helpful-looking forum is this:

Is it necessary for all lhasa apso dogs to be tested for PRA before breeding?

I ask this question because I want to buy a lhasa apso pup but the breeder can only identify that the mother was tested. No info on whether or not the father was tested prior to breeding.

My understanding is that it is pointless having a pup checked as PRA doesn't show in Lhasas until they are aged at least 2.

I guess, therefore, I am really wanting to establish how common PRA is in the lhasa apso breed. (I'm UK based if this is relevant).

According to a lhasa forum I have visited, PRA is fairly common, however, I have read info elsewhere that contradicts this.

Any useful info or experiences, guys?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Although I can't answer your question regarding the frequency of PRA in Lhasa Apso's, the CERF's and genetic testing are done to ensure the recessive gene is not present and passed down to the litter.

If you contact a Lhasa Apso breed club, they might be able to provide you with the information you're seeking, or at least some resources to help you make a decision. A good breeder will always be willing and able to provide you with all the proper cerfs.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
PRA can (and does) occur in EVERY breed of dog, one form can be detected via Optigen testing at any age. However this is the form that's common in Labs, Setter and Goldens (PRCD), the test for Lhasas is being developed. Here is a page with all the KNOWN lines of PRA+ Lhasas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts