Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of a little dog done wrong.....i posted some pics in the photo section last wk of our little foster dog, Jack....well, as the days have gone by, i'm beginning to wonder if all the "damage" done by human stupidity can be undone on this boy (but i am going to give it everything i can)....

his and my story actually started about 2 yrs ago....his previous owner was a (somewhat) older man that was possibly going to be going to jail for 90 days and needed someone to watch this little guy....when we talked he informed me that no one would watch him cuz they were afraid of him....the problems were: don't take anything away from him...if he "steals" a glove from a friend, don't take it away, he'll bite....and that was pretty much all i was told....ok, that's easy enuff.....but, what they failed to mention is that, if you take his collar and you have no leash in hand, he'll bite; don't pick him up, he'll bite; don't try to make him do anything (sit, come, etc) if he don't want to, he'll bite; don't put him in a crate, he'll bite......in other words, don't do anything that he say not to or he'll bite....and i don't mean just "simple" bites, i mean grab hold and try to shred you bites.....

well, just since Friday, i can take things from him (actually, he drops it when told), i can crate him w/out a problem (as a matter of fact, he seems to love the crate now, and even asks to go in there at times), and we're making progress on the picking up.....he has gotten me and my husband each 2x for learning this after he got here (the crate, the picking up [which i needed to do to put in the van to bring him home], that sort of stuff) but we have a loooonnnngggg way to go.....i believe, just by some of his reactions, that he was 1) allowed to get away w/ his demands and 2) when the man had had enuff of "giving in" to his demands, was treated extremely heavy.....sometimes when you touch him (like i took his collar off to put a different one on) he has this look on his face/in his eyes like "i know this is going to hurt at some point so i will just be ready to retaliate"....

but, the "history" i was given on him is that he'd been found at 2 wks old on the backseat of a car and was just riddled w/ mange.....his ears are "thick" and leathery like ones from mange, and he has alot of places where the hair is either real sparse or not there at all.....

but, i guess the whole point of this post was just to b!tch about the stupidity of people and how, b/c of it, the dog then faces euthanasia when something happens to them and the dog becomes "someone else's problem", like in this situation.....this is what was going to happen if we didn't take him (the owner died) and i can't guarantee that it won't happen.....he already has a "police record" for one dog bite....one more (reported) and he's done....if ours had to be treated by a dr, he'd already be gone.....why can't people stop and think about this stuff when they allow bad behaviors to happen (what would happen to my dog if something were to happen to me?)...i mean, it is quite simple.....

done ranting.....

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You've struck on a major peeve of mine. People accede to a dog's demands, follow the dog's rules, and then when said rules/demands present an inconvenience or when they loose patience, they lash out and wail the tar out of the dog. Ultimately, it is determined there is something wrong with the dog. The minimum IQ score required for dog ownership is "smarter than the dog". Is that so hard?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've struck on a major peeve of mine. People accede to a dog's demands, follow the dog's rules, and then when said rules/demands present an inconvenience or when they loose patience, they lash out and wail the tar out of the dog. Ultimately, it is determined there is something wrong with the dog. The minimum IQ score required for dog ownership is "smarter than the dog". Is that so hard?

now-a-days, MM, i'm thinking the dogs are much smarter than your average person....and i really hate having to cleanup someone else's mess.....but, we'll see what we can accomplish w/ this little guy....the thing that worries me the most is having my grandkids around w/ food or something he wants....i do see a tiny bit of progress, at least for me, so far...and my husband is getting able to do some of the things that i can do w/ him, so there seems to be hope.....but, 6 yrs of this owners stupidity....keep fingers (toes or anything else) crossed for him....

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I commend you for trying. It sure takes a LOT of courage to wail on a little dog doesn't it? *sigh*

As far as the owner being smarter than the dog.. well you really do expect a LOT from most people. My golly.. most pet dog owners are lucky to get their dog to come when called and not poo or pee in the house.

I hang out with dogs and cats because they tend to be smarter than most humans I have met.

Good luck with Jack. He can't be very happy can he?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thats my thought too Elana45, ( OK I'm making you younger)! A dog that is constantly biting at every one has got to be insecure, "like Elana said",unhappy, prefer not to be around people. My male dog was some what like that but not so much the biting part, but just not intersted in humans. But after a little while around me, he thought I must be a dog too, (thats my personality showing through), geez not sure I should have said that, trying to impress Elana, lol. It will just take time and I hope the dog comes to its smarter senses and realizes he is getting a chance at a better life:)

Oh, I finally found jacks picture he has a fine looking coat!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
good news....a friend was able to take a ball from him today w/ only a slight hesitation at 1st....i helped by putting my hand by hers and had her take it from his mouth and he did great.....so, things do look promising in that part (the 1st few times i tried to take a ball from him last wk he went nutz, and i had to hold tight on his leash, calm him down and take it....after about 3 times of just taking it he has been relinquishing it for me and generally my husband w/out incident, so this is definitely showing some progress)....

as for him not liking people, that's what makes this so hard to completely figure out....he loves anyone and everyone, does great (mostly) w/ all the dogs he's met so far, and doesn't act afraid until you go to touch him....then it's like he's just waiting for the blows to fall.....and when they haven't here he's just totally giddy and wiggly.....he's really starting to bond w/ me and this is another issue we'll have to deal w/ as we go along, but i think alot of that is from having straight forward direction (knowing what's allowed and what's not) but no violence, just firm control, involved....mine and my husbands hands can attest to his Hyde personality......but he really is a love for the most part (a stinky love, but a love none-the-less).....

for those that missed the post in the photo section, this is Jack the day we brought him home (last Fri)....

i'll get some new ones soon (i left my camera at work)...but his coat is even nicer now, it's shiner and not quite so dead looking....still terrier type but softer than it was (more like that wirery terrier coat that the JRT have)....does that make sense?:rolleyes: plus, he reaeaeallllllyyy needs a bath....

·
Registered
84 Posts
It sounds like he got lucky to have you for a caretaker for a while. Good luck with him. Hopefully, he will retain some of the things you teach him and be a better and happier dog. Thank you for being patient and kind with him.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow I am so happy he found you because if not we all know where he would be. Sometimes I think I am crazy I here the stories here and sometimes on the news of abuse and just try to get it out of my head because its to hard to think about often, then when I here another story I feel shocked again. It is amazing to me how this works. I got our puppy for a kid a few hours away that no longer wanted her she was 3 months old when we got her and when I would tell her no or something not yelling but a strong tone it looked like I killed, and when we went to pet her she would duck like she was going to be hit. Well we have had her for about 3 months now and she no longer looks like I killed her best friend when I have to be stern and everytime we pet her or love her she no longer ducks but she still looks at us like she cant believe all we want to do is love her and that she wont be hit again. She wakes up every morning and as soon as she sees me move she is in my bed kissing me all over like she just wants to make sure she wasnt dreaming I am her mommy and this is her life really and forever!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
That reminds me so much of Smokey. :(
Some dogs take it one way, some another. Smokey had a good year and a half with me and the kiddos though.
His owner went to prison for drugs. Someone stole Smokey to fight him, beat the hell out of him, and then my mom "rescued" (read that as confiscated) him from these people.
We had problems at first, he bit my husband on the head (chomped right on the top of his head) bit me in the leg the first day he came over. I knew I couldn't do my "job" to find him a good home with that kind of temperament. I felt like you do with your foster. I felt like he could never have a good home without me wondering what he might do. So I made the decision to keep him. That was hard to do with 2 small children, but we worked around it with a lot of supervision. At that point, it wasn't much of an option. Either strict supervision or to be put down.

My point is, eventually Smokey turned out to be quite alright and will always have a place in my heart. He was a great dog once he realized nobody was going to hurt him and all we wanted was for him to tolerate everyone. He really grew on us.

I hope your foster turns out the same way. That some day he will realize that nobody is out to hurt him anymore, and then he can be happy. Even if he can never leave you, I hope someday he learns that you're not going to hurt him and can live in harmony in your household.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts