Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been going a little wild buying tons of different things for the kong toys and also getting different bones for them. I wonder though if I should be giving less food if I'm giving that stuff? Or how often do you give a bones/treats if your dogs are on a kibble diet?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Before I got all anal about it dealing with Sassy's kidney disease I just gave the dogs a chew when they needed one. If they got 'fluffy' I fed a little less kibble, if they got 'ribby' I fed a little more. You can substitute about 25% of the complete and balanced diet kibble with reasonably good treat calories without affecting the overall quality of the diet. So long as the treats have a good amount of protein then treat away. If you see that giving your dog a something like a 12" bully stick causes loose stool the following day then you know that was too much food, reduce the next meal and see if that changes things for the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. I will definitely just keep an eye out. They are at a healthy weight range right now.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Technically yes, but it depends a lot on the dog. A larger dog who also has a high metabolism may be able to easy burn up a few extra calories. Another dog with a lower metabolism may gain weight at the slightest deviation in their total calories.

I would just keep an eye on it. I generally give bully sticks without reducing food (sometimes up to one a day, because I have a puppy who need something to do). But if we have an obedience class and I give tons of high calorie treats I'll usually skip their dinner that night. If I give them something and they get loose stools the next day, I don't give them that much of the treat, or I cut back on some food the next time I give it.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
For me I would only deviate if it was something given more regularly than once or twice a week. Depending on the dog, of course.

When Luna get's the occasional kong with PB or raw bone I don't adjust her food because those things happen maybe once a month or less. I also don't compensate more than a small amount for class treats because it's just 1 day a week for us so it's not really a big deal.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
With the harder to chew items, it seems like Kabota burns enough calories chewing it to make up for the calories in the chew, so I've never needed to compensate.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My dogs are active and do performance sports so they burn a crap load of calories in general on any given day. I give them extras like fish skins, liver chips, marrow bones, etc. whenever and I don't worry about decreasing their meal amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts