Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Legal Bare Minimum Dog Ownership upsets me.

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kristan27 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of dogs that just have the legal bare minimum life. Which means:

- They're outside, with shade
- Get food/water
- Never get human interaction/socialization. The owners ignore them.
- Never walked nor trained

There's a neighbor that has three Pit Bull puppies that are about 5 months old.
They are kept outside 24/7 in a small "play pen type area".
Nobody interacts with them. Nobody does anything with them.
The puppies are craving attention by the sound of their yelps and barking.

I have a perfect view of their yard and I've never seen anyone outside with them.
I only hear someone yelling "Hey" or "Shut up" to make them stop barking from that house.

I called animal services and they told me they can't do anything about it. Legally speaking the owners have the bare minimums covered.

The people that live there are rarely home in the day time. And if they are home they stay inside.

If I had those pups, I would be training them and walking them regularly. Any other responsible dog owner would at least interact and walk them.
Right now, they're living a sad life.

See less See more
#5 ·
They should of gotten a fish instead.

It's like the pups are just..there. The people have kids and even the kids don't play with the pups. I find that extremely strange.

There should be some sort of legal requirement to socialize dogs (at least with humans) and walk them in order to keep the dog happy and healthy. Not just leave them in the yard and not care about them.

#6 ·
We have a vet (a bad one) that has a private practice just up the road from us. He had two dogs that lived their lives chained up in the backyard, one of them he debarked because it barked all the time. Something happened to one of them (died I guess) and he got two puppies. They are grown now and live their lives on chains. They bark all the time and are never off the chain however they have a dog house, food and water. I have seen him feeding them but he doesn't interact with them. I feel bad for the dogs but I know there isn't anything anyone would do about him/them.

#8 ·
Never mind situations involving things like livestock guardian dogs who only really have reason to leave the property for vet care and who may, without harm to the dog in any way, never be kept indoors.

#12 ·
I'm a bad owner. I almost never take my dog for walks. Like ... ever.

Of course, I have an acre of land but still ... not the same as walking!!! *cough* He runs errands with me and loves to ride in the car .. but still .. not walks!!

No, someone shouldn't neglect their pets (that's what the scenario you're listing is .. it's neglecting everything but their physical needs). My dogs aren't here for the enjoyment of others, however, and don't need to "socialize" <I hate that word> with other people. He's neutral and affable in public as long as you don't approach his car/home... and a 90 lb German Shepherd. I think I can figure out what his needs are and don't need a third party telling me.

#13 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Looks like the neighbor that has those Pups that seem to be from the same litter doesn't care if they are neutered. They seem to be 6 months old now or so.

I just heard more dog barking and making all sorts of noise. I looked out my window and saw two of those dogs tied as if after mating....

This just makes me angry. That this kind of dog owner isn't even around to monitor his/her dogs and the pups are making more puppies in this world.

This is pure negligence.

#14 ·
that is something the AC could act upon no matter how much basic needs they have out for the dogs.. not protecting the young pups.. It was what finally got our AC into motion to come and start fining the (self proclaimed wolf hybrid sanctuary) That they didn't have the pups protected from the adults..

#16 ·
Depending on where you live, animal control won't do much unless they really have to. For example....there are a lot of animals in bad shape around here, but the only thing that really gets animal control out is if someone's animal is coming onto your property and you make a complaint. I work in a social services field and I routinely see animals sitting in their own filth, being beaten, being shut in cages and starved....and the list goes on. There is nothing I can do about it and, in many cases, the children aren't being treated a whole lot better. The other kicker is that those kids grow up thinking that's how animals should be treated. I have seen a handfull of dogs that rarely get attention but are well fed and get to go to the vet when needed...and, around here anyways, they are lucky. There was a case here a couple years ago where a dog was found locked in a cage in someone's basement starving to death, and I mean it was so skinny and still that they thought it was already dead until they got it into the light. When I first heard about it I thought I knew exactly who it was because I had seen a similar case while working (but I turned out to be wrong). I have a co-worker who loves her dogs as much as I love mine and we shudder every time we review our cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.