Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up at 6am and found Leeo unable to move and he had a stomach as hard as a basketball. He had vomited and was vomiting water as we drove. We drove 35 minutes to the only ER around and they had closed and the vet had already left. The receptionist called everyone around to try and find someone close. Leeo's vet was not open until 8 am. The vet across the street from the ER wouldn't see him. Had to drive back another 35 minutes to his regular vet clinic ... They just admitted him with possible bloat and I just signed the surgery papers ... I am so upset I could vomit.

I am so upset that a vet across the road would not see a dog with an emergency such as this and knowing time is nothing to waste ....because he wasn't their patient?

I know nothing else at the moment ......

·
Registered
497 Posts
oh no abby, im so sorry to hear about leeo :( i will pray his surgery goes well, please keep us updated.

and that is sad that the vet across the street wouldnt see him, like you said it was an emergency.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ... I am still a nervous wreck. I didn't even get dressed. My shoes were only half on as I had double tied the shoe strings ... not done anything but jump up and call my Dad to come home. My Dad takes my Sister's little ones to school in the morning. We had to take the one child with us and take him to school late.

I am just waiting for a phone call ... I have two phones sitting beside me and typing to stay sane I guess. It was a bad day yesterday too ... both Leeo and Blu Boy attacked my parakeet when it accidentally got out of his cage. He is injured too. He was in shock and fell over. I covered him up and kept him warm and talked to him after I fixed his wounds. I fixed the bird up by using dog antibiotics on his puncture wound on his back and the bloody wing. Nothing is broken and he seems better this morning. So far anyways. When it rains it pours! :(

I am still trying to believe that such a small dog has bloat. It is always Abbylynn I worry about.................

I hope it wasn't something he could have ingested either ... he is such an eating fool ... but the house is dog proofed! ...........

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
So sorry, the fight etc yesterday actually could have caused bloat, stress or excitement from what I've heard is a bloat possibility. Good thought heading at Leeo.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So sorry, the fight etc yesterday actually could have caused bloat, stress or excitement from what I've heard is a bloat possibility. Good thought heading at Leeo.
Wow ... do I need to get rid of the bird? These things excite Leeo ... like his rodent hunting .... oh no .... the bird is a fairly new pet. It was the bird I gave my Neice two years ago and she gave it back to me because she is having allergy problems with the feathers. :(

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers ... looks like they worked ... I just called the vet and it seems after all the xrays and blood work ... it is not bloat and that Leeo ate a whole bunch of " Something " they say. I am so relieved. He will be ready to go home about 4 pm. :) :) :)

I know it scared me silly! ..................... I have absolutely no clue on what he could have eaten! I am going to have to check the house real well .... maybe he has learned how to get into the trash behind the cupboard door. I was away yesterday for a couple of hours and he has the run of the house. I think I am going to crate train the old boy! Actually, both the old boys!

At least he had blood work done on him .... it must be ok too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So glad to hear he is doing well! always good to hear.

Hope you find out what he ate/got into. That has to be scarey not knowing.

Now for good thoughts and prayers he gets better soon and heals up nice :)

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like such a bad dog parent now .... not knowing what he got into! I am always so so so careful about things like this. I am going to go hunt through the house now. Thank you again for all the well wishes and prayers. :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I feel like such a bad dog parent now .... not knowing what he got into! I am always so so so careful about things like this. I am going to go hunt through the house now. Thank you again for all the well wishes and prayers. :)
Don't feel bad - in just four months, I've learned that dogs are masters of getting into things they shouldn't. No matter how hard you try, you absolutely cannot prevent everything. hugs to you (((((abbylynn)))))

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm glad Leeo will be okay. Did he have surgery, or did the vet decide against it because of the blood work and x-rays?

I think you have to cut yourself some slack. It is impossible to predict and prevent everything, and even predicting and preventing doesn't always work.

I try to do that, and Aidan still gets into things. Just yesterday I made some of those Grands biscuits. While the oven was heating up, I had the baking sheet with the biscuits pushed way back on the counter with a couple of large stainless steel mixing bowls in front of it to make sure Aidan couldn't get it. Aidan was with me in the living room. Suddenly he got up, looked back at me (I was reading), and headed lickety-split to the kitchen. He managed to swipe an uncooked biscuit, but I got the entire thing from him immediately. If he had been successful, that would have been a very bad thing.

Today, he found one of those snake trick cans (the "snake" is a coil covered in plastic that leaps out of the can) and took the top off. The "snake" startled him, so he abandoned his search & destroy mission. I did get a good laugh out of that. I have no idea where he found it -- maybe he grabbed it while I patrolled the house to make sure the kids' doors were closed and nothing was lying around that could hurt Aidan.

I watched him this morning in his dog run (15' x 40') which was installed yesterday. He carefully tested the entire perimeter by pushing at the vinyl-covered chain link with his paws and trying to nose under the fence. Then he tried to squeeze out of the 2" gap where the gate is attached. As soon as the snow melts, I'm going to put chicken wire in so he can't dig out (which I predict will be his next test of unauthorized egress). I sure can't trust him out there by himself because he just might figure out how to climb the 5' fence.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm glad Leeo will be okay. Did he have surgery, or did the vet decide against it because of the blood work and x-rays?
I am not certain ... I was so upset I didn't ask ... :doh:

I will see at 4 pm though. I am just not with it today. I was just happy he was ok ... I will let you know later .... I need to get it together! The poor bird is still just sitting there all puffed up .... poor thing ... not much I can do. :( Just pray for the poor bird now. I do have antibiotic cream for him. If he doesn't get infection and doesn't have internal injuries he may pull out of it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts