Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that it's not okay to ever leave your dog/puppy alone in your car. I plan to get a new puppy (probably a miniature poodle or a pug). I go to a gym every day and am in and out within one to two hours. I was thinking how much more convenient it would be to leave my puppy/dog in the car, locked with the air conditioner on (in hot weather) and the heater on (in cold weather). That way I wouldn't have to go all the way back to my house (I'm retired and live alone) to pick up my dog to go somewhere like a park, dog store, etc. I live in a good area. I suppose I need to ask car experts if it's okay to leave the car in idle for up to two hours on a daily basis. Only rarely have I ever seen a dog locked in a car (supermarket parking lot), but the car wasn't idling.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
And what happens if in that 1 or 2 hours the car stalls out and the a/c shuts off... it only takes 10 minutes in a hot car for a dog to die. Or, what happens if someone breaks into your car and steals your dog? Will it be worth it?

Your dog is much better off at home comfortable and safe.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
And what happens if in that 1 or 2 hours the car stalls out and the a/c shuts off... it only takes 10 minutes in a hot car for a dog to die. Or, what happens if someone breaks into your car and steals your dog? Will it be worth it?

Your dog is much better off at home comfortable and safe.
Double Ditto.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Is gas free in your area?

This is a very bad idea for so many reasons.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Bad idea. It's safer for the dog to not take chances. Just leave the pup home in a crate or ex-pen while you run errands that would require the dog to stay in the car.

Besides the possible danger to the pup and expense of the gas, a bored pupppy could do a great deal of damage to the interior of your vehicle in short order.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think someone would report you and you would risk losing your dog. I'd report it for sure. Too dangerous for reasons already mentioned, not to mention it's very stressful for dogs to be left in cars. And I think an unattended car, running, would be too much of a temptation for a thief. I can get my locked car open with just a coat hanger in about 10 seconds. Bye bye car, bye bye dog. (Yes, I've locked myself out of my car with the car running - dumb, dumb. That's how I know I can get it open so quickly and why I always make sure my keys are in my hand when I get out of the car. :eek:)

Is there a doggie daycare in the area? Would be fun for the dog to get a little play time while you work out. Most daycares will take a dog for a 1/2 day (under 4 hours) session. Would be great for socializing the dog, too. Another option would be to find a dog walker close to the gym with whom you could leave the dog.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to agree with everyone, an animal should under no circumstances be left lone in a vehicle that long. Also idling a car for two hours a day is horrible for the environment, you'll be wasting gas and also make yourself a prime target for theft. If I saw an animal left in a car for that long I wouldn't hesitate to call and report it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Alot of places in Ontario now have idling laws, more than 3 minutes and you're likely to get fined. I certainly wouldn't do it if I was worried it was too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This has to be a joke because no one leaves their car running for 1-2 hours anywhere. Guess it depends if you want your car to be there when you get out. :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's what I was thinking. ;)
Same here but the poster sounded so serious and went into a lot of detail! Usually a joke would be something more like: "I'm planning to leave dog in car for 1-2 hours. Good idea? Bad idea? Thanks!"

·
Registered
537 Posts
In my opinion it would be a bad idea. Bad for the dog,Bad for the car, Bad for the environment. Personally I would skip the gym and spend that time walking the dog instead. Dogs need lots of exercise.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Screw the environment. It's a bad idea because you're welcoming someone to steal your car. I bust a window, ditch a dog and get a free car. To me that's worth it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
It's an all around bad idea. I understand that its a hassle of sorts to have to run back and get the dog and then just turn around and come back into town...however, I have done it MANY times and I live about 15 minutes outside of town. There have been many times when I've had one of my dogs with me and found the need to go to the grocery store or something...I've ran my dogs home and then turned around and came back to the store. I will not leave my dogs unattended in a vehicle for any length of time.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Dogs are inconvenient. All the time. While you're trying to do everything. If you want convenient, get a fish.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I seriously think you guys are overreacting. I've left my great danes in my Honda Civic for long stretches without any problems.

(Yes, that was a joke. I'm assuming the OP was joking since he hasn't even returned since posting this and I wanted to join in on the fun.)

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Dogs are inconvenient. All the time. While you're trying to do everything. If you want convenient, get a fish.
I take issue with the frequent (albeit tongue-in-cheek) suggestion to get a fish.

Fish are very high maintenance. If you don't feed them every day, or if you feed them too much, they die. If you don't keep the tank/bowl clean, they die. If the temperature fluctuates by more than a half-degree, they die.

And if you introduce a new fish, that looks suspiciously like a shark but the guy at the store assure you is a wonderful community fish, all the fish (except for the new one) die. And then the new one dies from over-eating.

Typical lifespan of the dogs at our house seems to be around 14 years. The typical lifespan of a fish seems to be about 14 hours.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I take issue with the frequent (albeit tongue-in-cheek) suggestion to get a fish.

Fish are very high maintenance. If you don't feed them every day, or if you feed them too much, they die. If you don't keep the tank/bowl clean, they die. If the temperature fluctuates by more than a half-degree, they die.

And if you introduce a new fish, that looks suspiciously like a shark but the guy at the store assure you is a wonderful community fish, all the fish (except for the new one) die. And then the new one dies from over-eating.

Typical lifespan of the dogs at our house seems to be around 14 years. The typical lifespan of a fish seems to be about 14 hours.
Keeping a Marine tank is one of the most challenging things one can ever undertake.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I agree---fish are hard! Harder than most exotic reptiles even.

When I saw the title I thought, ya know, maybe 5-10 minutes, with the doors locked (you need a spare key), while you run into the grocery store for some bread. I've done it, no biggie. But an hour or 2 would be way too long. My car's AC stops working properly (fan still running but not very cold) after only about 5-10 minutes of idling, and I think most cars are the same.

I won't speak to the theft risk because I live in an area where old guys leave their cars idling while they get coffee at the gas station. Not just running in to get coffee, either---they stay for half an hour chatting with their friends. Every now and then someone's car will get stolen and they wonder why.....LOL.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts